3. Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
We are a couple in our 60's who had never been on a cruise before, and what's more, we were proud of it. Snobs. But the romance of crossing the Atlantic on this new Queen, in tandem with the QE2 on her last transatlantic cruise, appealed to the historian(s) in us. So we booked a suite, and entered the flower bedecked embarkation hall on a red carpet flanked by trumpeters and machine gun toting, black clad commandos. In the Queen's Grill line, the formalities were so quick we weren't sure we were meant to be getting on the ship. We were overwhelmed, the most pleasant way, by the size of the ship and its variety. On our six days, we tried to sample everything that was offered, but failed, and failed badly. I'm writing this review mainly to commend something that I haven't seen mentioned in other comments; and that is the Oxford Discovery Program. We attended a number of lectures and they were one of the highlights of our trip. The topics were eclectic: from Islam to England's best churches, from Sex in the Victorian Novel to the Periodic table. We were enriched, not only by the excellent lectures, but by the questions and discussions that followed. This is our idea of a good time. But even without the lectures, we were converted. We booked first class accommodation; and it was: a very roomy suite with plenty of comfortable space, huge bed, sitting and pantry area, a great balcony, large bathroom, walk-in closet; and plenty of touches like flowers, fruit,wine, and appetizers. We had butler service: he called me "mum" and I felt Queenly. His talk was better than his walk: there seemed to be a "three times of asking" rule for him to produce on a request. The steward kept the room very clean. The Queen's Grill restaurant had an impersonal Westin Hotel-like decor, but the food was good and so was the people-watching. My husband enjoyed everything and I appreciated the Canyon Ranch choice on the menu--very tasty, but restrained in calories. Service was friendly, helpful, personal. Patrick, the maitre d' responded instantly to our request for a table change. We tried the Todd English restaurant, and it was certainly good, (even better people-watching) but the food was ultra rich. Once was enough. Booking at the Canyon Ranch Spa was a bit of an adventure: the computer system seemed to baffle those operating it. Once I made it past the technical issues, the service was happy; and the treatments ultra-professional. But the prices, my dear. We are lucky enough to afford to pay, but these charges made me feel like a sucker, and I did not return. The Black and White Ball was a terrific idea--easy to pack for; and people participated. There were some lovely gowns and it was a swell affair. The Ascot Ball seemed a bit downmarket, with people wearing paper hats. We loved most of all being at sea, and the QM2 is a ship on which you can appreciate that. There are plenty of places to walk and sit and enjoy the mystery of the ocean. The weather was appropriately grey and we felt very naval taking our promenades against the salt wind..1.3 miles around the ship. When it got too chilly we enjoyed the view from many lovely places around the ship, sitting with a cup of tea or a glass of wine and watching the waves endlessly roll by. We were totally converted and are looking for another cruise. Thank you, Queen Mary 2.

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) - Trans-Atlantic