3. Magellan
We looked forward to this cruise for nearly two years and within three days of leaving port we started coughing. My husband held up but I got steadily worse until I had to sleep dosed up with paracetamol, which was all we had,for thirty six hours whilst my body (which is fit) tried to sweat out the infection. Thank goodness I had had the pneumovac last October or I truly believe I would be dead. I haven't eaten for five days as nothing stays down and seven out of eight people on our table fell foul of this infection, most of whom have severe medical conditions to start with. I got home this afternoon and thought I would check if there were reviews about sickness on board. It beggars belief that passengers are routinely subjected to bacterial infection and laid low when what they paid for was a holiday. Are there no controls over this from a public health viewpoint or is the fact that the ship is registered in Nassau a license to kill? This vessel desperately needs a deep clean in the clinical sense, not just hand gel, which was pumped at us at every turn and does absolutely nothing for airborne respiratory infection. We joked about how many ambulances would meet us at Tilbury and sure enough we saw one there waiting as we docked. As it is Easter weekend I hope that I can survive until a GP appointment is available next week. Briefly reviewing the other aspects of the trip ( when I was still standing), the food was nothing to look forward to and the chocolate buffet sculptures were painted polystyrene. Entertainment provided by the dancers and musicians was done with energy and enthusiasm but the rest left me cold, especially the comedians. One guest speaker was not overly articulate and so full of his own importance that he got cross when the captain came on to give his daily report. This was a regular time and outside of that allocated to the speaker who seemed to think he should take precedence. The days at sea were life lost to the three little pigs syndrome when passengers came earlier and earlier to spread books, towels and anything else over seats to secure a base in all areas of the ship. The standard of human behaviour was disgusting but I guess that wasn't down to the ship's crew although they could have policed it better. The crew, in my experience, were happy and obliging and had somehow overcome the infected atmosphere in which they live. All in all this has been a steep learning curve. I am home thank heavens and breathing fresh air once more but I still feel extremely ill and wish I could stop this happening to other unsuspecting passengers in the future.

Why is this ship in service?

Magellan Cruise Review by popty

• Sail Date: March 2018
  • Destination: Europe

popty’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cruise & Maritime Voyages Magellan price drops

The cabin was serviced by regular, obliging crew. It was adequate for our needs with plenty of storage and a blessing during my illness as we could let fresh air in through the balcony door.
Linens were fine and changed daily and the toiletries were plentiful and natural.
The daily fruit bowl was welcome and the daily news sheet informative.
Tea and coffee was topped up regularly
Television was limited and did not offer a lot beyond news and weather of interest to us.