3. Magellan
We chose this cruise as it was departing from Dublin so no flying needed for us! We had 2 wheelchair users with myself and my husband. Embarkation We arrived in plenty of time. Only downside is the port has no parking at the berth they used for Magellan so my husband had to drop us off and drive up to Terminal 1 to park. Basic tent and fold-up chairs greeted us. It was bit tough getting the wheelchairs up the wooden ramps but I got there! Bags where whisked away very swiftly. Check-in was fast, we had all documentation ready, we had our photo taken and checked-in within ten minutes. Then the trouble started. We had to get the wheelchair users out of the wheelchairs (they can walk just very slowly) and walk them up the "ramp" onboard. This ramp consisted of extremely treacherous metal steps that were upright so you had to step over each one up to the top. Slow going and nerve-wrecking for an elderly person already a bit self-conscious of walking slowly! wheelchairs were ready after we scanned through. My husband had 1 wheelchair user up ahead of me and so got on first, rather than allowing them to wait for me and my charge. As a consequence they were shown to the room and we were stranded. I had to ask to be shown. Staff were unorganised and some rude, they just ignored you, or in my case, left the wheelchair behind a rail I couldn't get to and had to ask for it to be brought in to me. CABINS We had 2 interior cabins. One was an L configuration to allow the two folding wheelchairs in. Plenty of space, tv, storage and ensuite. Our cabin was double bed configuration and this does make the room appear smaller but still useful. Mirrors make the room lighter. Not enough power points. Cabin steward very attentive and on one occasion, came tot he rescue when one relative fell out of bed he rang us straight away and we got her up. All was ok. He asked how she was every time he saw her after that! ENTERTAINMENT Poor. There really was very little going on. A few singers, a band that played the same every night. Bingo and activities conducted by bored staff so really was a waste. Shows in main lounge was boring most nights, the comedian was good but short (no idea why people reported it was offensive!) trying to get a good seating area free from poles and suitable for wheelchairs was a nightmare. EXCURSIONS None were suitable for wheelchairs on this cruise due to that bloody ramp. The fright they got going up the ramp at the start put them off ever going back down it unless it was the last time! So we could only really go on 1 excursion, Hornfleur. Myself and my husband got the free shuttle up to the town center and saw the sights ourselves. Very nice shopping areas, architecture etc. We watched the rest of the excursion disembarkation from the deck as most where by tender. All I can say is that if I was anyway nervous or on a stick I would probably never sail again!! They manhandled poor old dears like luggage! Shocking. FOOD The restaurant was very good, made all the better for our table servers. The first night he hand cut the steak for our relative and then fed it to her like some Roman Villa scene. She laughed and it was just perfect hosting, knowing boundaries and politeness, not being pushy etc. Just super. We ate dinner here every night and were never disappointed. The buffet is just a bit too much like a canteen. All breakfasts and lunches similar, no atmosphere. SPA Prices similar to other cruiselines. Was disappointed not to have been shown to the relaxation area or thermal area after my treatments. The first treatment was a full body massage & facial. This was amazing. I cannot remember his name now but it was a deep but not sore massage, the way a massage should be. As a bodywork therapist myself, it surprises me how few therapists know not to dig deep for the sake of it but rather pay attention to the muscles and perform deep massage when the client is ready. This stops the treatment from turning into torture! The second treatment was a hot stone massage. I enjoyed this but not as much as the other package. Again I was given no tour, no access to the other areas of the spa and no add-ons recommended or specials. BARS We noticed the English pub had a bar menu on embarkation day but the next day the menu was gone. Maybe it only runs on certain routes? It looked a nice lunch menu of pies, stews, sandwiches etc. and would've been nice to try for a change. Drinks prices similar to at home, we had the drinks package and it was well worth the price. TIP: ask for Smirnoff instead of Vodka, for some reason my husband would get double measures instead of a single measure. Same happened to me when I asked for Bacardi. They do ask for cards for all in the group to make sure everyone is paying what they should. This was sometimes extremely rude when we got drinks but our relatives had tea or coffee. The supervisor made a big deal out of how they didn't have the package and needed the cards....she has arthritis and was struggling to get the card at time of ordering but cards where all on the table for anyone to check from then on. The sinatra lounge was always packed and had piano or jazz music in the evenings. The casino is tiny with about 20 machines, a blackjack table and roulette. Its on the main thoroughfare. Overall, I felt it was a glorified ferry. I had hoped it would feel like a small cruise ship but no, it felt like going on the sea ferry across to England just without my car! We definitely wouldn't do this cruiseline again.

OK but not for us