Oosterdam Cruise Review
1,095 Reviews

Cruising out of San Diego!

Oosterdam Cruise Review by nlstigger

• Sail Date: Feb 2018
  • Destination: the Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Signature Superior Verandah Suite

We chose this cruise because it was easy port to drive to and we wanted to celebrate my Mom’s 75th birthday on 02/26. The itinerary was round trip out of San Diego and the port stops were Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta.

We stayed in a Signature Suite. There were 3 adults in our room, one of whom used a rollator to get around off ship and used a cane to get around on ship.

It was my first time sailing Holland America and some of the cruise critic postings made me wonder if this was the right line/ship for us. It turns out we had a great time. We bought the Thermal Suite spa passes and spent several hours relaxing there each day. We only made it to a couple of the shows, but we entertained ourselves with many hands of pinochle, thermal spa visits, reading on the balcony, and generally relaxing.

In fact, we came home, and we all agreed that we wished it had been longer and we were ready for the next cruise.

Pros:

The smaller ship size meant that the buffet wasn’t too crazy and we always managed to sit in the same general area.

The buffet was generally good and I was worried that the fact they had to serve many dishes v self serve would slow down the process, but it didn’t bother me on the ship.

We liked the pool deck layout with so much space devoted to tables instead of loungers. It made it more useful for us.

Cons:

Main dining room food was pretty bland. I tried ordering some spicier dishes, but they always came out barely spiced.

We would sail Holland America again if the price/itinerary was right for us.

nlstigger's Full Rating Summary

Signature Superior Verandah Suite
Cabin SY 8070

Size of the cabin was good. Our third slept on the sofa bed and we had to add an extra blanket under the sheet to make it a bit more comfortable.

Bathroom with double sink separate shower and tub, was very nice. It was a big selling point to me, as my dad can’t step into the shower/tub combo. However, we ended up taking most of our showers at the spa after the thermal suite, so it wasn’t used as much as I expected.

Big downside to the room was that you could hear all of the carts running between one part of buffet and another. Plus the room service carts that went down the hallway were very loud.

Mazatlan

We hopped into a pulmonic taxi and did a two hour tour of old Mazatlan. It was a little cloudy when we started and the open air taxi was a bit on the cold side when we got back to the ship.

Rhythms of the Night

We went to the cirque show at Las Caletas. It as great. The dinner was very tasty. The boat over seemed to take forever. I don’t think I realized it was an hour each way.

My dad took his walker with him and sat in it on the boat. As we were getting off, the told us to leave the walker on the boat and they provided a wheel chair and one of the crew pushed him up to the dining space and then came and got him and pushed him uphill to the outdoor theater. We were super grateful that they provided that service. Once the show was over, they came back and pushed the wheel chair backwards down the hill and then over to the boat.

View All 21 Rhythms of the Night Reviews
Cabo San Lucas

We stayed on the ship and rested. The seas were kind of rough and my dad didn’t feel good about transferring on to the tender boat. We heard that the ship whale watch excursions turned into a bay sightseeing trip because the sea was too rough.

San Diego

We stayed at theWyndham across the street from the pier. It was great to wake up and watch the ship pulling in to port in the morning.

nlstigger