3. Carnival Splendor
We booked this as the big family vacation before the kids go off to college. First cruise for myself and our girls, my husbands second cruise (first was on Princess). We embarked out of Long Beach...great experience, went fast and easy. Got on the ship we were created with drinks and smiles, and were in our room by 1:30pm with most the luggage there. :) There's pros and cons to every thing...I'll start with the cons... -The décor really is ugly. There's just no other way to put it. Really needs to be upgraded. -Our TV didn't work the first three days on board. Kept loosing signal. We called so many times we lost count of how many. Finally my husband just asked the tech guy what he did so we could do it without having to wait hours or over night for it to be looked at. -Food!!! Oh boy...cold, tasteless, not a good texture, limited. Food was horrible. We did the late dining in the Gold Pearl, food was not good. I got sick one night from the lasagna (recommend not eating that) wait staff we had were excellent!!! They really made the dinner enjoyable. Buffet was horrible, cold, and limited on choices. Burrito bar was really good, really long wait though and its limited on how long its open same with the Mongolian wok. -Entertainment was good from what we saw. Tried to catch a comedy night but you had to be there nearly an hour early to get a seat. -Pool side bars...staff is not very friendly and tends to ignore you for 20 minutes or more. Found much better staff and service in the casino. -They say they have a cigar bar...no they don't. They no longer do because people were complaining about the smell or smoke I guess? However my husband was very disappointed when he bought his cigars and went to the cigar bar in which was no longer a cigar bar. -EVERYTHING IS A SALES PITCH!!! Hated that! I'm here on vacation and paid good money to be. We did not care for that. Oh here's a raffle ticket just be here at this time to enter in the drawing...sales pitch for an hour before they draw the ticket. -We did a couples spa as well, was very relaxing however our staff wasn't very friendly and again was another sales pitch at the end. That was horrible, here we just finished and feeling relaxed and in they come with another 20 minute sales pitch. I just wanted to finish and leave feeling relaxed and rejuvenated. That wasn't going to happen. Pros... - Our wait staff in the Gold Pearl (Wayan and his two amigo's were absolutely amazing and really made our dinner experience enjoyable. They always went out of their way to make sure we were take care of and happy. We thought the entertainment at the end of dinner service as cute and entertaining...Its...Shhowtime..LOL - Our room guy Robert was also extremely enjoyable and again made the experience. Always called us by name, always happy and friendly and willing to help any way he could, we loved out little animal towels:). Did a great job of cleaning the room every night while we were at dinner (that's the time we chose to have it done). -The ship was easy to maneuver for the most part. We enjoyed just walking around relaxing. - All the staff every time we saw any member on the ship they always smiled, greeted us and asked how our day was and how our excursion was or if we needed anything. PORTS: -We shopped in Cabo and did the Lovers beach. Beach was clean and gorgeous water. Had a lot of fun. No excursion on this one for us. -Mazatlan: Very dirty and kinda intimidating with all the boarded up buildings, bars, graffiti, gated up properties and rundown buildings. we did the zip lining...I recommend waiting until Puerto Vallarta to zip line. It was very desert, dried trees, but was still a fun experience. We did have a lot of fun and lunch was great. -Puerto Vallarta: Swam with the dolphins, recommend this one!!! Great experience!!! The board walk was nice to see all the art work. Nice clean place, drivers are crazy! LOL But a great place to shop and see. -Disembarking wasn't too bad, we carried off our own luggage, our deck got called at like 9:15 am and we were in our car and on the road by 10am. Overall we enjoyed our cruise. Our girls would liked to have had more things for 16-18 years old to do. But it was a learning experience and was overall good. It is however a party ship. So if you are looking for quiet and relaxation...you might want to find a different ship.

You get what you pay for.

Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by kermit_cole

There's pros and cons to every thing...I'll start with the cons...

Pros...

PORTS:

kermit_cole’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 13 to 15
Ages 16+
Get Carnival Splendor price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8B 6385
Room was great, clean, spacious and loved the private balcony.
Empress Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins