3. Norwegian Gem
Our 11 day cruise was just awesome! This was our first time on Norwegian but probably our 13th cruise overall (usually Carnival and Royal Caribbean). CABIN We originally booked a mini-suite but decided to change the reservation to a 2 bedroom suite. What a difference that made for us! We actually enjoyed spending time in our cabin because it was a decent size to accommodate 4 of us. In the past, we were overwhelmed with our tight quarters but found ourselves hanging out in the living room more than we ever have. It was also nice to rent movies (for free) right from our television. We thoroughly enjoyed the 2 bedroom and are now spoiled for the rest of our lives with cruising in a larger room. FYI - the 2 bedroom on the Norwegian Gem states that it is a queen sized bed in the master bedroom. The bed is actually larger than a queen sized bed by about 8 inches. Probably about 4 inches shy of a king-sized bed - very roomy and super comfortable. The master bath was absolutely amazing and I can't say enough about how wonderful it was. The shower had wonderful pressure and multiple jets. Both the shower and tub had a huge window overlooking the water. It was just fantastic! Double bathroom sinks and lots of counter space to boot. Other reviewers commented that they knocked the phone off the wall in the bathroom but we didn't have any problems what-so-ever. Even my 260 lb husband didn't have problems! He's like a bull in a china closet so maybe they moved the phone out of the way before our cruise? lol DINING Anyway, we ate at a lot of specialty restaurants (Le Bistro (2x), Cagney's, Moderno Churrascaria, Teppanyaki (2x), La Cucina, and the Asian place - can't remember the name). Our favorite was Teppanyaki (filet mignon and shrimp were fantastic), followed by Le Bistro (escargot were delicious). Our least favorite was Moderno. The meat was overcooked and had very little flavor. We were not impressed. The sides were nothing special either. The salad bar prior to dinner was better than the actual dinner. We found ourselves at the buffet often, most food was okay. I particularly liked the Indian cuisine as it had the most flavor. Ice cream was a favorite for my 4 year old, she had it several times a day! We ate in the main dining room only one time. It was a good meal and we were in and out in about 35 minutes (maybe they move faster when there are small children involved.) The food was nothing to write home about. EMBARKATION Fantastic because we booked the 2 bedroom suite, we were ushered into a room off to the left and were checked right in! No waiting in lines at all. They then escorted us to our room (it was ready at 11:30). Disclaimer (the previous cruise was canceled because the engine was having troubles and they needed to take some time to fix it in dry dock). This could be why the rooms were ready so early (they had 10 days to get them ready!) ENTERTAINMENT So, my husband and I are gamblers and found ourselves in the smoke filled casino on a nightly basis (after we got the children off to the kid's club). We had a fantastic time playing craps, black jack, etc and meeting new friends! We even met up with one of our new friends after our cruise in Atlantic City! Miss you Walter! Hope to see you again soon on another cruise! So, the smoke is an issue but I've been in worse casinos for smoke. Obviously we would prefer if they eliminated smoking in all public places. It would be great if they could have enclosed smoker's lounges throughout the ship that could contain the smoke. In this day and age everyone knows the dangers of smoking and no one who doesn't smoke should have to be subjected to those health hazards. We are not much for entertainment but did find ourselves at an aerial show and it was very good. No other shows were attended. FAMILY Our children (age 4 and 10) enjoyed the kid's clubs. My 10 year old made a bunch of new friends and the younger one ended up catching some cough-like illness about 4 days into the cruise. The staff said that almost all of that age group had caught it. Ugh SHORE EXCURSIONS We don't usually do shore excursions but instead just walk around town or where ever we are. I did take a tour in St. Lucia (about 2 hours for $30). They advertised we would be going to the beach but never did. We did drive around on some mountainous roads and saw some beautiful sights. It was definitely worth the $30 but not sure I would have enjoyed it if I hadn't been sitting in the front seat (last one to get on). SERVICE The service was fantastic throughout the entire cruise.

Fantastic time aboard the gem!

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by langkamm

ENTERTAINMENT

FAMILY

SHORE EXCURSIONS

SERVICE

The service was fantastic throughout the entire cruise.
langkamm’s Full Rating Summary