3. Magellan
My husband and I chose this cruise specifically to see the Northern Lights which we did. Embarkation was not very well organised. We chose to disembark early which meant we had to take our own luggage off the ship.This worked well for us as we were off the ship within 1/2 of berthing. All ports of call were exceptional with excellent weather. We didn't do any shore excursions with the ship as they were overpriced. We usually went to the visitors centre at each port and booked activities with them which were usually private or with only 1 other couple. Ship shore excursions had full busses of passengers and they generally run to a schedule where a private company gave us a lot more flexability and value for money The cruise on the CMV Magellan would have to be one of the worst experiences in all my travels. Most but not all staff were attentive and helpful. We found that the reception staff did not action any complaint given to them instead pretending that no complaint had been made. The Kensington restaurants. food was generally pretty good. We mostly ate breakfast in the buffet so we could get eggs cooked on demand so they were served hot. I didn't eat any other food from the buffet as it sits there too long. We weren't bothered with the entertainment as I don't find it necessary on a cruise. Overall it was a disastrous cruise with excellent ports of call. I would never recommend CMV to anyone.

If you want to see The Northern Lights don't go with CMV

Magellan Cruise Review by travellers 2x2

All ports of call were exceptional with excellent weather.

Overall it was a disastrous cruise with excellent ports of call.

I would never recommend CMV to anyone.
travellers 2x2’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cruise & Maritime Voyages Magellan price drops

Cabin 7055/7173
We booked and paid for cabin no 7055. on the 3rd night there was a burst water pipe above our room and our room was flooded. We were asked to move in the middle of the night which I refused to do. We were shown a room the next morning (7173), which I said I wasn't happy with due to its .location on the ship, but were't given another choice so we reluctantly took it. That was a big mistake as on day 1 of being in the room it was filled with fuel fumes. During the second night our air conditioner stopped working. We went to reception in the morning to tell them our room was freezing as the air conditioner wasn't and we were told to get another blanket if we were cold. We both developed head colds due to the freezing room. We went to reception the next day to again complain and it still didn't get fixed. We were sick of being brushed off so we didn't bother complaining again as it fell on deaf ears. We couldn't spend any time in our room away from all the other passengers on the cruise.