3. Viking Alruna
We chose this cruise because of the opportunity to take advantage of our extended time off from work during this time of year. We had never been on any type of cruise and my wife and I have no desire what-so-ever to take an ocean cruise where the endless food is the star. This was a great opportunity to visit one of the great wine regions of the world, an item on our bucket list is to hit them all, and then to spend a week in Amsterdam where Christmas was purported to be beautiful. Now to the cruise itself. The staff of the Viking Alruna were fabulous! Everyone on board was so gracious and accommodating because, even though this was one of those trips of a lifetime for us, nobody bothered to tell my wife's immune system and she caught the flu the day before we were scheduled to leave. She spent almost 15 hours a day in bed for virtually the entire trip. We upgraded to a Veranda Stateroom and the extra room and generous bathroom with the heated floors made the trip a little more bearable for her. There were lovely choices for dining for every meal even though we chose to eat alone for many of the early meals in an attempt to not get others sick. We did take several excursions on the trip partially because we had already paid for them, partially to get her some fresh air and allow our wonderful room attendant to completely change out the linens and towels, but mainly because we really wanted to explore France and Germany. I must confess to ditching my lovely wife at night and having too much fun in the lounge after dinner dancing and sing karaoke with many of the other guests. The staff of the Alruna seemed just as festive as the people on the cruise and a good time was had by everyone in the lounge after hours. Our excursions were centered around wine events with two tastings and a dinner at a monastery. The wine tastings were very enjoyable even though we both lean towards red these would be a must for any white wine drinker. The Eberbach monastery itself was very interesting but the meal was only slightly above average and below the quality of food on the Alruna. One of the major reasons we want to return at the same time of year is the Christmas fairs which we didn't get to see enough of (pretty sure my wife could spend 6 hours a day in those). We did not travel with children and really don't think this type of cruise is ideally suited to children which is one reason why we chose this type of cruise rather than a larger boat for our first foray in to cruising. Getting to the boat was very easy and had we been to Amsterdam before I would have arranged for our own transportation leaving the boat as the cab fare was very steep compared to the plentiful inexpensive public transportation in Amsterdam. We were both very much agreed that we would repeat this trip in a heartbeat with only a couple of minor changes. We would start in Amsterdam and end in Basel as we think there would be added romance in spending Christmas in Switzerland. Also, I'm not sure the private veranda was needed in the middle of winter as we spent no time on it at all. My advice is book early, wait for the deal you want (we got a great deal I felt), and above all book with Viking because they were top drawer on every aspect of the trip itself.

First cruise of any kind

Viking Alruna Cruise Review by Yordkns

• Sail Date: December 2017
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Veranda Stateroom

Yordkns’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Alruna price drops

Veranda Stateroom
Cabin B 305
Spacious enough for all of our suitcases with a lovely bathroom and wonderful views of the Rhine.
Middle Deck Balcony Cabins