3. MSC Seaside
My husband and I cruise frequently and really like both the Royal Caribbean Oasis class and the Norwegian Getaway class ships. We decided to try the Seaside to see how it compared. . Embarkation and debarkation were the easiest we have ever experienced. . The ship itself is new, clean and easy to get around. Staff is pleasant and efficient enough although I get a sense that there are fewer of them than the other ships we like. Examples: When we put the room service trays out in the hall before bedtime, our past experience is that they are always removed in a few hours, On this ship, they remained overnight. When we asked for a veggie burger in the buffet, despite the sign saying it was available on request, the man behind the counter was clearly too overworked to get them made. There is more high tech on this ship and most of it worked okay. Not perfect but okay. There is an option to get a embedded bracelet to use in place of the regular sea pass cards. The price is $5 per person. I think this should be free for each traveler. The internet is the fastest I have used at sea. . The room was slightly smaller than on the Oasis or Getaway. My main complaint was the lack of storage space ... worst I have ever had on any ship in any category. We had two connecting balcony rooms with my husband and myself in one room and a 14 and 15 year old in the other. The placement of the bed in the one room made it almost impossible to access the closet which had the ONLY drawers in the room. We travel like that often and I have never run out of room to put things and this was only a 7 day cruise. I can't imagine a longer one on this ship. We like to open the door between the two balconies to combine the spaces. MSC said this was against their policy and, since the balconies were small, we really couldn't use them for all of us. Guest services said it was also against their policy to issue extra pass cards to the second room we had booked. We have always been able to get them on other ships. Since our rooms had a connecting interior door, we managed without the pass cards. However, if you are thinking of booking a room across the hall for someone in your group, you will not be able to get a card to enter that room. The room attendant services was excellent and timely. The rooms were very clean. . I would rate the food below both RC and Norwegian ships. The dining room menu is limited and the portions small. The buffet was adequate but not much variety. The kids with us complained about the limited availability of the soft-serve ice cream (their favorite). Gelato was available on another deck during certain hours but at a price. Desserts were awful There is really no place to eat on the ship except the dining room, buffet and specialty restaurants. We are used to places like O'Shen's, Park Place, Promanade Cafe, etc. for a change of pace. Went to the worst specialty restaurant I have every been to. I would recommend you carefully check out the menus before booking in one of these restaurants. Another thing, the dining rooms were full and some people were assigned dining space in the buffet. Half of the buffet was blocked off and turned into a dining room with waiters, same menu, table clothes,etc. to make it resemble the dining rooms. People assigned there were not happy. I do have to say the dining staff was excellent. . The theater surprised me. The ship itself is rather glitzy but the theater is really blah. No balconies, no bar service, no cup holders. The shows were pretty good but extremely short (several only 30 minutes, the longest about 40 minutes). I miss the Broadway style shows on the other large ships. There is some above stage acrobatics in the shows but the stage is not high enough to display them adequately. The dancing is excellent but there is no live orchestra and much of the vocals are recorded. To me, this distracted from the quality and professionalism. There are no head-liner shows or diving shows or skating shows. All the performances require reservations and, since they can't be made in advance on-line, but sure to reserve early in the trip to get the shows and times you want. I did like the cruise director very much. He was fun. . There isn't a lot to do on the ship. No flow-rider, no miniature golf, no climbing wall, no ice skating rink, no diving shows, no always available musical performances in the bar areas, no library, etc. The pools were packed and we often couldn't find lounge chairs. The lines for the water tubes were extremely long and the hours were short. The two girls with us went up to the teen area several times but couldn't find much to do there so they lost interest. There is a zip line but at a cost. . Shops, shore excursions and photo service were very similar to other ships I have been on. One interesting thing is that they make little, if any effort, to book future cruises on MSC. There is a desk and they loaned me a brochure for the international cruises (they didn't have one to give me). I found a trip I was interested in and, when I went to get additional information on that cruise, the fellow indicated that he really didn't know about it. . Used the spa for a massage and thought it was excellent. I like the fact that the prices were consistent during the cruise. Often on other ships, there are so many 'specials' that I never really know when is the best time to book. The girls went to the fitness center and said it was like the other ships and they were satisfied. Casino is small for a ship this size and it was impossible to really get away from the smoke. . All-in-all, it was a nice cruise but there were a few bumps. In summary, at this time, I'm definitely not saying that the Seaside is a bad ship but would recommend either of the large Royal Caribbean or Norwegian ships over the Seaside ... more fun, better food, more to do.

Some hits and some misses

MSC Seaside Cruise Review by eniner

• Sail Date: March 2018
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Bella Balcony Stateroom

. Embarkation and debarkation were the easiest we have ever experienced.

The internet is the fastest I have used at sea.

There are no head-liner shows or diving shows or skating shows.

I did like the cruise director very much. He was fun.

eniner’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 13 to 15
Get MSC Seaside price drops

Bella Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B1 9112
Very little storage ... less than average.
Good room service.