Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by jennyprovo

• Sail Date: Mar 2018
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Balcony

We have sailed on Norwegian many times. I really enjoy the Jewel Class ships. When I saw this itinerary I was excited. The ship itself is showing its wear but I believe it is up for dry dock after it goes to Alaska this season. You couldn't beat the itinerary. We started in Singapore has two stops in Thailand and three in Vietnam before ending on Hong Kong. I had done some research on the port before we started so I know most of them were industrial and we would need to be bused to any sightseeing or cities. Knowing this going in was helpful. This isn't like the Caribbean where you can just walk off the ship and everything is there. We did ship tours for all the stop except Bangkok. We were glad we had ship tour for the tender ports. No worry about getting tender tickets and making it to your private excursions. NCL did a good job with the tours themselves. The guides spoke very good English. We heard some private tours were not easy to understand. We however could have been provided water on the excursions. We were told we could not take water off the ship and were not offered any during the tour or be directed where to buy some. It was hot so water was essential.

The nightly shows were top notch. There were two Burn the Floor performances. I was surprised at that because I thought they were only on the Breakaway class ships. I was a bit disappointed in the nightly cruise staff directed game shows. I generally really enjoy them and they seemed to be lacking on this ship. It was an older crowd so I understand the evening entertainment was directed towards them but the pace of the entertainment other than the nightly theater show was very slow.

The food on the ship was good. I wouldn't say gourmet but that wasn't my expectation. We ate at Cagney's and Modero with our Latitudes benefit. Generally we don't pay for the specialty restaurants and would not have if it had not been free. If you are meat eater Modero and Cagney's is pretty good. I really enjoy their salad bar and sides. But for us paying extra for it is just not worth it. For some it probably is. We never had to wait at the main dining room. We generally ate about 6PM. We saw lines a little later but it appeared to be moving quickly.

Overall it was a great trip. We enjoyed see all the different cultures at all the ports. We have already booked our next cruise with NCL. I know these ports were new to them so they were learning how to navigate. I give the staff props for getting out passports back to us the night before the cruise ended. They cleared customs with Hong Kong on the ship so basically we got our luggage and walked off the ship. Very easy

jennyprovo's Full Rating Summary

Mid-Ship Balcony
Cabin BA 9545

The room was good. Same as other Jewel class ships. Nice balcony and bathroom.

Singapore

We booked a two day private tour before our cruise with Tours By Locals. This was a great option. The tour guide met us at the hotel and took us around town visiting all the local sites.

Our tour guide was excellent. We saw the elephants at a preserve. The monkeys picking coconuts. Lunch was at a 4 star resort and was delicious. We stopped to get the views of the bay.

View All undefined undefined Reviews

We overnighted in Bangkok so we decided to do a overnight trip into Bangkok. We felt very rushed on this tour. So much time spent keeping track of everyone instead of just setting a time to meet at the sites we visited.

Cham Museum

This was a good tour. We visited the Cham Museum and the market. We also was the marble budda. The beaches were very nice here. We however were not provided any water or lunch on this tour. Lunch I can understand but the lack of water was hard when it was so hot out.

View All 3 Cham Museum Reviews
Halong Bay

We did a junk boat tour here. The junk boats loaded right from the ship. Not need to tender and then then get on the boat at port. This was nice. Ha Long Bay has amazing views. The rock formations were pretty cool.

View All 65 Halong Bay Reviews

Our tour guide Ashley was amazing. We got to see a little bit of everything. She helped us decide on foods for lunch and dinner, which is helpful when you are unsure of the food. We went to Victoria Peak but instead of going to the observation deck we took a local trail to get better views of the city. Lots of walking but it was worth it.

jennyprovo