Azura Cruise Review

Azura Cruise Review by gettinold

• Sail Date: Mar 2018
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Inside Stateroom

We are in our mid 50's and cruise quite a lot. Mostly Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Princess.

We chose this cruise as it was a Transatlantic, stopping at the Azures which we have never visited. We still haven't. The day before we left I got an e-mail from P&O saying we wouldn't be going to the Azores . Reason they gave was stormy weather affecting their operations. They don't say that in their brochure when they tell you that their ships are so large and technologically advanced that stormy weather is of no concern. I wrote to their customer services asking for a better explanation and also to see if they were considering any form of compensation. They say on the website that they respond to queries within 5 days. Well it's been four weeks now and I have received nothing. Customer care ? - don't make me laugh !

So not a good start. We got on board . The muster drill was at 5pm and we were meant to leave Barbados shortly after. However the captain said we had to wait unitl a delayed plane from Gatick arrived and that turned out to be well after midnight. We tried to get off to go into Bridgetown but were told we couldn't . So a really good first night sitting in Bridgetown port.

Air conditioning in our cabin wasn't working. I thought this may be due to the ship being still so I waited till next day to see if it improved. It hadn't so I reported it. To cut a long story short, I had to report this for 8 days running before they actually fixed it. Each day I went to reception to be told it was a work in progress. We had an inside cabin. We couldn't breathe. After 8 days when I finally demanded to be moved or else complain directly to the Hotel director, they managed to fix it. Funny that !. Apart from the air conditioning, the cabin was kept extremely clean by our steward Julius who was an absolute pleasure .

Food was similar to what you would get in a works canteen and it was always cold. We ate in one cover charge restaurant, the Glass House and it took over 3 hours to get 3 courses.so beware. Waiters were few and far between and it was impossible to get drinks topped up whilst waiting without going to the bar . The dessert was a disgrace - very stale sponge

Entertainment was poor with one exception. The ventriloquist who won New Faces was very good. The four young guys who sang were quite good at shouting, as were the P&O singers ( when they weren't miming ).

The enrichment lectures from the criminologist were good but with only an 800 capacity in the theatre and 3,500 passengers, you couldn't get a seat. Why not beam it live into the cabins P&O ? - Oh yes I forgot. You aren't buying anything when you are in your cabin.

With no stop at the Azures (- Oh wait a minute - they did stop to let someone who was ill off the ship . Their stormy weather excuse just got even weaker ) we had 8 sea days in a row. Bad for the passengers - good for P&O who used the time to sell, sell, sell

They say you get what you pay for - not here I didn't. I won't be using P&O again

gettinold's Full Rating Summary

Inside Stateroom

Very poor air conditioning. That apart, it was spacious,clean and comfortable

St. Lucia

An absolute dive. Not a good start when you are advised not to take anyting of value off the ship

gettinold