3. Pacific Dawn
It was my mother's 80th Birthday so my sister and I thought a cruise would be good idea as it was one thing she seemed to enjoy. I had previously cruised on the Pacific Dawn at Christmas 2013 on that cruise we had a suite, on the recent cruise we had an Twin share (not a true twin but quad with the upper bunks closed) ocean-view ( lifeboat view) on deck 8. It started badly when I realized I did not have the proper oceanview I had booked but an obstructed view and to add insult I also did not get the free wifi I was promised. Anyway I decided to make the best of it I bought some wifi $90.00, the room itself was budget hotel accommodation at best old grey towels, hard beds, lumpy pillows, blood stain on the curtain, remember this was a cheap cruise $1000 each so I really did not expect that much after all on the previous cruise with a suite the room was the size of an average on land hotel room but it was very dated however still much nicer than the deck 8 room but hardly worth an extra $2500. My mother was in a wheelchair which made it a bit difficult to get around, we had to take lifts everywhere which were exceedingly slow and packed with people. There were hordes of children running all over the ship playing in lifts and generally being a nuisance and their behavior got worse as the cruise went on and there parents grew more interested in partying than parenting. The food was free in two restaurants, The Pantry and The Waterfront , The Waterfront needs to be booked for dinner, the food was ok, not startling not a great variety but not terrible either. Staff were very pleasant. The Pantry is set up like a food court in a shopping centre and food is exactly the same quality, but plentiful. There are other options, the best of these being the Salt Grill costing $49 per head for dinner, good but little variety. The entertainment, dull, dull and dull. The usual mix of lounge singers, trivia and dross. The headline on this cruise was the Hypnotist which was the only vaguely amusing show on here, the other shows were all contemporary dance numbers which were not worth watching. Last cruise had much better entertainment. Regarding the other cruisers, lets just say cruising is a cheap holiday and the type of people who go on cruises want value for money, so the make the most of what they have paid for by over indulging in food and in Alcohol. Never have I seen so many badly behaved drunks in one location, it was Bogan heaven. If you want a high class cruising experience this aint the cruise for you. The smoking area on deck 12 is like a swamp even if you don't smoke and sit in one of the non smoking parts of that deck you are inundated with the foul stink, its ridiculous that it is placed by the pool where the bulk of the kids are. Oh yeah Bingo.....there are many old people on these cruises who enjoy Bingo..Bingo on the ship is hideously expensive. 5 games per session $30. Only one game is full house the rest are lines. Bingo is played twice daily every sea day. So no the cruise was not the most enjoyable holiday for me I enjoyed small bits of it as did mum. I was embarrassed by fellow Australians who treated the crew like slaves with comments like' they all look the same to me these Filipinos or whatever they are' and 'don't they have any white staff' and some "guests" rudely clicking their fingers at staff made me very angry. However I'm sure if none of these things bother you then you will have a marvelous time. This was my last Pacific Dawn Cruise that is for certain.

Ok if your interests lean toward mediocre food and copious amounts of alcohol

Pacific Dawn Cruise Review by TANZA1010

This was my last Pacific Dawn Cruise that is for certain.
TANZA1010’s Full Rating Summary
Get P&O Australia Pacific Dawn price drops

The cabin had a lovely view of a lifeboat which was unexpected as I did not book an obstructed view cabin. It was very dated and reminded me of a small old hotel room "on land" that you would expect to find in two star accommodation. A dispenser for shampoo in the shower, a very old minifridge only one powerpoint. Some of the light bulbs were blown, there was a blood stain on the curtain. The beds were hard and pillows ancient. Only one hard chair to sit in. Some shower mold.