3. Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
This was our first Cunard cruise, and we probably won't be back for many reasons, but I will detail the good and bad. Our sailing was Brisbane to Singapore, with ports Airlie Beach, Darwin, Bali, Singapore Embarkation in Brisbane was smooth and easy, the fishermans grain terminal isn't nice but I wasn't going on holidays for the terminal so wasn't impacted. My first impression was that Cunard was missing the 'WOW' that an atrium such as those on Princess offer. The 'Grand Lobby' didn't seem that grand. It was lunch time so we headed to the dining room, though the cruise was on a world voyage we were told we couldn't eat there. We asked for a menu to cater to my husbands dietary requirements and were promptly given one. Upstairs in King's Court, we were blown away... By how below average it was. Small, limited variety.. Sure, you could find something but there wasn't much. I expected something grand and was flat. We had an inside cabin on deck 10. It was smaller than other inside cabins we had, and every surface was covered with things, ice buckets, tea, coffee etc. No room to put our own things so we asked our stateroom steward to remove everything and he did so promptly. Now onto the voyage itself. Well, what a disappointment. Cyclone in Darwin, so we could not port, which also meant Bali immigration could not board and due to a public holiday it meant no Bali. So we sailed for 9 sea days straight. The weather cannot be faulted to Cunard but their reaction was deplorable. A bottle of wine in each cabin, we are not drinkers and asked to swap for soft drink but were told we could have bottled water instead. That and only that was offered. For the price paid on Cunard cruises, in this case up to $30,000 we expected better. Thankfully, we did not pay that, but $6000 is still a lot to pay for a 12 day cruise with 11 sea days. Could we have stopped in Cairns by tender, or possibly Malaysia, Perth somewhere else, I believe so. The mood on the boat drastically dropped after the news. The holiday was a dud and with so many people disembarking in Singapore, it was very obvious nobody was happy. Dining.. Oliver , head waiter in the Brittania dining room, Deck 1 was superb. We were designated late sitting but wanted early, so we went every night at 6.30pm and were randomly seated. We mostly ended up at the same table and Oliver always bought out the next days menu for my husband. If we missed dinner, he would slip it under our door. The food was ok, never outstanding and without the ports it became very dry, bland and basic by day 7. Duck La Ronge was bought out 1 night, the driest piece of duck I've ever seen and one orange segment, no sauce.. Not very nice. The worst experience was when I asked for a straw to accompany my glass of ice and soft drink. The waiter told me no because they were banned on the boat. I had to argue to get my straw, and the next night it happened again. Finally I told him sternly that since they put straws in cocktails and other beverages I was entitled to mine. I was paying $4.71 for a coca cola each night, USD, so converted to AUD even higher - if I wanted a straw I was getting one. Then the straws started appearing. One night however, I watched him chastise a sweet older lady who asked for a straw with her ginger ale. I had enough and reported him to the head waiter. When he came back with the straw he proceeded to abuse her telling her that she shouldn't have gone over his head. Enough said on that, but rest assured he got a piece of my mind. Desserts were average,nothing fancy. We did like the games corridors on deck 2, they had boardgames, puzzles etc that was great. The planetarium was good but they didn't show enough shows and I found that silly since we'd been subjected to so many sea days. Loved the relaxation therapy pool in the spa spent many many hours there and the price was on par for what we received. Did not enjoy the shows, a guy and girl with a yoyo and some juggling for passengers of that age and price point was terrible. One night I overheard a lady say the singers and dancers sounded like 100 cats were dying, I thought she was being complimentary. The theatre is beautiful so they could do better trying to fill it. Crossing the equator service was hilarious and fun and I would say 70% of the boat went to that event, it was great to watch. Shops were ok, but we didn't buy anything. The staff didn't seem to knowledgeable but they may hve been new. IF you are a smoker, there is limited areas available on deck 7/8 and it is aft on the boat, be warned it is a very tiny area - you will not be catered to very well. Is it value for money. Not at all, and if you are spending that money I really think you deserve better. Cunard really needs to pick their act up, because the ship itself is quite nice,it is let down by poor offerings, average service (Where was white star), basic food, terrible buffet, expensive prices. Would i do one again, probably not. And whilst I met many people on board, a good chunk of them said the same without any prompting from me!

Better bang for your buck elsewhere

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by craigbro159

• Sail Date: March 2018
  • Destination: Asia

Desserts were average,nothing fancy.

craigbro159’s Full Rating Summary