3. Norwegian Escape
We enjoyed every bit of this ship and this trip. I'll say right up front that we did stay in the Haven as suggested by our travel agent. But we also made sure to get around the whole ship as we will probably try not-Haven next time. And, yes, we already put down a deposit. For me this trip was all about relaxing. I'm in my 50's and told everyone I hadn't felt that relaxed since I was 12, and I meant it. I thought the ship was very clean. I think the only area we didn't spend time on was the regular Skydeck as we had the Haven skydeck. We ate at Churrascaria and Teppanyaki and both were great. La Cucina was good. Manhattan Room was good, excellent waiter: I Gusti. Gelato place was ok. We also ate at the Garden cafe twice for breakfast, twice for lunch and once for dinner. Garden Cafe had a great selection and food was decent. The only thing we missed there was the Crepe place because the line was always so long. If we didn't have the Haven as a backup we probably would have made sure to hit the crepe line. We did eat at the Haven restaurant all other times. It was 5 star. Service throughout the ship was always great. We never had any problem and it wasn't like anyone knew we were in the Haven unless they had to swipe your key. Entertainment was great. We enjoyed watching Casablanca one night in the giant screen in the atrium (it was sad only a few others were watching but it was pretty late on the first night and many were probably tired). The cake boss type contest was great. Dan Dan the cruise director was ALWAYS entertaining, even if he was over the top once in a while. We also watched the men vs. women thing the last night. And the animal towel folding seminar was good, too! We didn't see Brat pack or the Escape the Circus but wish we had tried the escape room as i heard it was great. The comedians and the magician were excellent. The singing group was excellent. I forget the name now. The cotton club was excellent. The dueling pianos were good, but we were so tired by the time we got there we usually didn't stay long. We were pretty much always doing something and getting to our cabin after midnight. No shortage of things to do or see. Though my wife was on a NCL Mediterranean cruise and she liked the Beatles group they had on that cruise. We also purchased the thermal spa pass. I'm not sure if you need both this and the Haven. We didn't use it as much as we would have liked, too much to do, not enough time. Better than the alternative! Falmouth, Jamaica - We did the bamboo river raft trip and liked it. We had a little waiting once we got to the rafting place but it was worth it. Very relaxing and romantic. We then went into town outside of the port. I don't know why people are afraid of that. No one approached us except for a guide. They have blue polo shirts and are trained by the tourism bureau but work for tips. Ours was named Pleazant. He was great. We told him we wanted patties and ting. He took us to Tastees where we got chicken patties, with coco bread and Ting. Ting is the grapefruit juice they make on the island. A great local comfort food meal. He made sure we didn't over pay, then took us to the courthouse lawn where we ate. Had a great conversation with him about Jamaica and its culture. I highly recommend doing this. The only thing I'd add is to try to a historical tour. At no point did we ever feel unsafe. At Grand Cayman we went to the turtle place. It was okay. I would have preferred to snorkel but my wife won't put her head under water. This is a good tour for people like that and small children. Otherwise I'd recommend a boat trip/snorkel trip. At Costa Maya we took a taxi/wagon ride to the first stop which put us at Maya Bar. We got free table, listened to great live music, got free wifi and my wife got an hour massage for $25. She said it was best ever. Then we walked along the beach and bought gifts. Maybe the best day. I felt like i was in one of those Corona commercials where you're on the beach. Find your beach I think it is. In Nassau we tried the SUB experience. My wife ended up not putting her head in the sub bubble and she wasn't the only one. It was ok but since I used to scuba dive it wasn't that exciting. But the people that had never dove before loved it. I would recommend to anyone that hasn't done any diving. It is absolutely beautiful there in Stuart's Cove. It was worth it just sitting on the boat in that beautiful blue water. One thing about excursions, dining, etc. Book as much as you can plan for way ahead of time. Also, there are excursions that show up on the ship that are on the list when you pre plan. So we had pre-booked 2 dinners, 2 excursions and 2 shows. Worked out fine but I'd try pre-booking all dinners and all shows. Room was excellent, Haven was excellent. Have already put down a deposit for a future cruise. I'd go on 3 or 4 per year if i could. Embarkation was easy because of the Haven. Disembarkation was with the big bus hop on hop off excursion. I wouldn't recommend. I have another review on that separately.

First cruise - new empty nest couple

Norwegian Escape Cruise Review by Hooked after first cruise

• Sail Date: February 2018
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: The Haven Spa Suite with Balcony

Hooked after first cruise’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Escape price drops

The Haven Spa Suite with Balcony
Cabin H9 16114
We loved the room. Plenty of space, loved the bed, loved the balcony. Huge bathroom. More than enough storage. Butler was excellent. Though we didn't ask him for much. Didn't ask the concierge for much either. I think tipped pretty well because they don't get part of the gratuity though most people I talked to were tipping the steward more than the butler and concierge. So I'm not sure if that was right. Would definitely book the same room again.
Deck 16 Suite Cabins