Viking Sea Cruise Review
1,339 Reviews

First time on a Viking Oceans cruise. Much to enjoy and some areas to improve.

Viking Sea Cruise Review by the2ofus

• Sail Date: Jan 2018
  • Destination: the Caribbean

I had a friend who was in the mood to travel and had never been to the Caribbean. I wanted a warm weather cruise and this one appealed because of the number of islands we would visit. I had sailed on a Viking River cruise and wanted to experience their new product. We enjoyed the cruise as it met both of our expectations.

The service and the responsiveness of all members of the staff that I encountered were really exceptional. There are many wonderful areas of the ship, such as the open upper deck with the minature golf course and the comfortable seating areas there. There were many places on the ship for a quiet time to talk or read a book. The Wintergarden and afternoon tea were a real treat. I did not use either of the open deck pool areas but loved the warm spa pool.

I will consider future offerings of interesting itineraries.

The Scandinavian influence was obvious throughout the ship with the Spartan lines of furnishings and public rooms and the cool colors throughout. Our cabin was well designed. Plenty of storage space. With twin bed configuration one bed was very close to the closet so access was awkward. Bathroom well designed. Good storage. Shower roomy enough. Shower pressure and water temp. adjustment very good. Veranda adequate for two people to move around. Two chairs, standard height table. Our cabin stewards were gracious, accommodating, quick to answer requests, always available.

The food quality was very good to excellent for the most part, everywhere on the ship. There was great sushi available most days in the World Cafe, along with a great selection of other offerings. If you couldn't find something to your liking, you weren't really looking. On the whole, I was disappointed with the specialty restaurants where the menus seemed to be trying too hard to be exotic. The Restaurant was the better choice of the three. Mainly, though, I avoided them after a couple of tries, not for the menus but for the unbearable noise level. Low ceilings and large expanses of flat surfaces with barely any softening of fabrics or other wall treatments made sound reverberate throughout.

The Spa services and the thermal suite and pool were winners as far as I was concerned. Nothing to complain about and everything to love.

Viking's entertainment did not disappoint me because I did not expect lavish shows. The nightclub was fun and usually very busy. The Cruise Director was visible, approachable and engaged people in conversation. I was disappointed in the pianist and the trio who played in the atrium in the evening. The pianist probably was technically good but did not play with much emotion. The trio apparently only met on board and had not yet gelled into a cohesive group, so were not pleasant to hear.

the2ofus's Full Rating Summary

Cave Tour

Improved tour and information over my previous tour in 1993.

View All 22 Cave Tour Reviews
Island Tour

Mountain Top and not much else possible in only 2 hours.

View All 291 Island Tour Reviews
Island Tour

Excellent tour guide, gave lots of information about the island, its history, the hurricanes, the recovery.

View All 437 Island Tour Reviews