3. Star Princess
Our long time friends asked us to join them on this cruise to Hawaii, as they were celebrating their 50th anniversary, and we were celebrating our 19th! We live in Southern California, and this cruise is appealing because we do not have to fly anywhere! I had been a bit wary of the 4 sea days out and the 5 back! Would I be able to keep myself occupied enough? We have been on several cruises, but none with more than one sea day at a time - more like sea day - port day-port day-sea day, etc. But I needn't have worried! I was so busy I needed a vacation! LOL We boarded the ship on a Sunday afternoon, the embarkation went very smoothly and our room was ready for us. Our luggage was delivered not too long after that, perhaps around 2? The outbound Hawaiian cultural activities were excellent! I did the kukui nut leis and the flower lei. The flower lei is sponsored by the ship, so it is free, but you do have to get in line to get a class ticket. There are 4 classes, one each of the sea days. I also participated in the hula lessons and the ukulele lessons. There was a naturalist on board and each day there were wonderful nature presentations about sharks, dolphins, sea turtles, sea birds, etc. Tiki Dave and his wife Leialoha are the Hawaiian cultural ambassadors. Tiki Dave performs on the ship (he is excellent) and teaches the ukulele classes (very fun) and Lealoha teaches the hula classes. Fun! They also each morning have Hawaiian crafts, that is where I learned how to make the kukui nut lei and I made a bracelet to match. There are other wonderful items for sale that Leialoha has made. I bought a brace for my ukulele and a lei for my ukulele! There are of course all the typical ship activities, trivia, games, wii bowling, dancing, singing, etc. There was more than enough to do! The food was great! And plentiful! I am happy to say though that I only gained a pound! I hear the typical gain can be as much as 6 pounds! I did restrain myself some and didn't have the pineapple EVERY night, but did have it about three of the nights! Very yummy! The entertainment was plentiful. We enjoyed the band First In Charge. The stage shows in the Princess Theatre were good, but I have to admit, Tiki Dave's two shows of the songs from our youth were the best. I saw the girl singer, Alison Ward. She was striking in her sparkly dress, but I did not care for her renditions of songs. A couple of times I could have sworn she snorted and she has a warble in her voice that annoyed me. She used it in far too many songs. There was one song she did as a tribute to Cilla Black, and I have to say it was terrific, the best she sang, and she only warbled a little bit at the very end. I wish she would take that out of her styling. The Wonderist, or magician, don't remember his name, was fun. There was a violinist, he was good. And one night a guy who played a zylophone, but it was called something else because it was metal, or something. LOL Sorry. That was good, but my favorite part was when he played the theramim. I had never seen one in person before. We loved the islands! We went on a tour of Hilo and hit the wonderful scenic spots, the macadamia nut factory and an orchid growers! Beautiful! Each island has its special beauty and we enjoyed our tour of the Iolani Palcace, the lava tube, the water falls, and the fern grotto.We loved our walking tour of Lahaina! This is a cruise that you could take multiple times, and we met many people who have, and each time it would be different!! There are so many shore adventures from which to choose. We enjoyed it immensely! I went up to the lotus spa twice, once for a mani-pedi and once for a hair wash and style. I loved my hair girl, Candy, from South Africa, she was terrific and so very sweet! I had some crossword puzzle books with me and my Nook, and did read my Nook while waiting for shows to start, but only got my crossword puzzle book out the first day. So you will have plenty to do on the sea days! I need to add that our debarkation was the smoothest and quickest we remember! Our time to meet at the Crown Grill was 8:50 a.m., we went a few minutes early at 8:40 a.m. and they had us go right in! No flack for being early, we were only seated for a minute or two when they announced our group to go ahead and leave the ship! We left, went through customs, we didn't get off the ship in Ensenada! We got our bags, got a taxi, and were home in Long Beach before 9:30 a.m.! Wow! That was fast!

Have fun and learn new skills to boot!

Star Princess Cruise Review by speedcat

• Sail Date: March 2018
  • Destination: Hawaii

But I needn't have worried! I was so busy I needed a vacation! LOL

speedcat’s Full Rating Summary
Get Star Princess price drops

Cabin P325
We had an outside cabin with a window view, unobstructed. It was clean and Orlando was very attentive and greeted us by name each time he saw us.
I travel with a sleeping mask, that looks like a kitty, and is filled with lavender, I leave it on my pillow, I also have a cute little plush kitty I travel with (I miss my kitties at home) and I left him on my pillow too. Each night when he turned the bed down, he would leave a chocolate on the pillows, on my pillow , next to my kitties, he would leave a chocolate by each of them! My husband only got one, I got two! LOL It was very sweet of him.
  Star Princess Deck Plans

• Volcano National Park & Hilo Waterfall Tour
    We went to Volcanoes National Park, viewed the crater, walked through the Thurston Lava Tube, went to the Macadamia nut factory, had a great lunch and went to the orchid growers. The flowers were beautiful! Great trip, great guide.
    View All 110 Volcano National Park & Hilo Waterfall Tour Reviews
  • Iolani Palace
    We visited the Nu'uanu Valley, the Pali Lookout, we visited a church, saw the statue of King Kamehameha and the Iolani Palace. It was a beautiful, sunny day. We enjoyed our visit.
    View All 8 Iolani Palace Reviews
  • Waimea Canyon
    We had a lovely drive to Waimea Canyon, drove past little towns, we went to Spouting Horn, but it wasn't spouting too much. I think island is where we saw a lot of free roaming wild chickens! We went on a river boat up the Wailua River to see the Fern Grotto. Lovely day!
    View All 119 Waimea Canyon Reviews
  • Lahaina Walking Tour
    We had a lovely tour guide, a historian, Anu. She walked us through the courthouse and showed us the places that had significance to the Hawaiian people in the old days. It was a nice morning. After that we walked around Lahaina and had some shave ice! Yummy!
    View All 30 Lahaina Walking Tour Reviews