3. Norwegian Getaway
The lead up to arriving on the ship was great! The booking staff helped tremendously, this was mine and my sons first cruise, even with multiple calls and questions. The excursion prices seemed reasonable when I was deciding what we should do, sitting in my living room. We arrived at the port. After we had tipped a porter to get our luggage to our rooms. He made it seem like that is what we had to do. I know now we can take our luggage to our cabins on our own. Besides us having to pay we did not receive out luggage until some time after 7pm. We had come from the north and we were sweating in our jeans. Some of the boarding staff were friendly some made it quite clear they were there just to do their job. At this point I had already paid the tip portion of my bill so I had an expectation that everyone would treat me like I was tipping them? The room was what we had expected and it was clean. So we went off exploring. These ships are amazing. I had received a ship offer from my casino so that is one of the first places I headed to. The first night gambling was good. The poker tournament was run very mickey mouse. I had joined late so I did not see any of the less then professional operations of the tournament. I saw it all when I played on the following Saturday. Allowing rebuys when you still had chips. A pit boss rushing a player to make a decision . As well as the huge amounts of money need to play to even get a hint of a comp. Very disappointing. The food was very good and always lots of it. The alcohol package helped medicate some of the disappointments we saw more of the longer we were on the boat. There was a fee for everything. You would think the boat would have complimentary Wi-Fi? I charged a few things to my room and this is where the real mess begins. They put holds on debit cards and credit cards. When they decided that you have charged enough to your room they freeze your account until it is paid. Debit cards they only freeze the money in your account to be taken out later. Credit cards they put holds on but at least they are not taking it from you. I was charged for a thousand dollar purchase after I had been home for 7 days. They back dated it to the day we docked in hopes of sliding it in with no questions asked. The fraud department of my credit card is dealing with this now. The excursions were marred with tour guides disclosing they do not get paid for their time. I also saw the same woman handed $200 dollars in tips. Considering the average person can live well on $1000 a month she was paid well. Every stop is like a local shopping mall with vendors all looking for cash. It takes away from the experience. We had the feeling that we were placed on big busses to be paraded around like some disillusioned tourist handing peasants money. It was quite sickening. The lunches on the excursions were nothing more than a flat whit bread sandwich. Don't get me wrong the trip was fantastic. If I could take away the rude crew members that would not look at you unless you tipped,(something I had thought I had taken care of) The outrageous prices of boat appointed excursions, the absolute money laundering that they do with exchange rates, the alienated feeling one had on the cruise ship islands(not one spot offering Wi-Fi)and constantly being asked for money but you don't have to if you don't wish to, by the people on the ship appointed excursions I would recommend it to everyone.

The lead up led to a huge let down!

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by DiscoDave69

• Sail Date: February 2018
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Inside Stateroom

DiscoDave69’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Mid-Ship Inside Stateroom
Cabin IA 14631
Room was standard. Kept clean. Changed daily.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Beach
    It was great. The start of the people looking for money. I could not access parts of the island because of it being part of a resort. The beach looked great. It was very americanized for a Caribbean island. The employees were super friendly.