3. Adventure of the Seas
We have been cruising every year for almost 20 years and have platinum status on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. We almost always cruise out of Puerto Rico and spend a week in Puerto Rico before the cruise. We used to be able to choose between 7 ships, but now our options are limited to 4. One of the options is Carnival (which i have cuised with twice, but will likely not ever cruise on again - not because our experiances were bad, but because they weren’t great. It is a cheaper cruise, but you get what you pay for?). Fortunately, Royal Caribbean is one of our 3 top picks for cruise lines (princess and celebrity being the other two). Adventure is a nice ship and we were fortunate enough to get a room on a brand new refurbished deck (deck 12 at the front) so the room and area around our room were great. There really wasn’t anything about the ship that i didn’t like. The prominade is very nice, especially if you have any rain on a sea day or in the evenings. At 3200 passengers, it was a little bigger than i prefer, but that is only my preference. The plus of the bigger ship is more facilities. I found there to be more than enough deck space on sea days. If anything, the only thing i can say that i didn’t like was the evening dining menu. The food was very good overall, but it did lack in variety, from the appetizers, to the entrees to the deserts. Very disappointing was the lack of chilled soups (only one the whole cruise - at least it was good). Of course, i am comparing it to the old days of cruising where they served 5 course meals. The itinerary was great (Curacau, Bonaire, Aruba and St Maarten) we loved the options available at all of the ports. It looks to me like the onboard ship excursions were cheaper this year than i remember them being. We quite often arrange our own excursions now as we know most of the islands and what is available at them. As for the onboard entertainment, it was ok (we went every night). 2 of the headliners were great (comedian and magician), 1 was ok (impressionist) and one was not my cup of tea. He basically had to restrain himself the whole bit and told everyone to make sure to come back for the late nite adult show where he could really “let loose” The band was great (as usual) I have a hard time rating the production shows because this is our second time on the Adventure in recent years, so we’ve seen all 3 of the production shows before. That being said, we got there early and got good seats and watched all 3 shows. I’m not fussy about the Cruise director, Mercedes, not because she was bad, i just didn’t find her as funny as she thought she was. Lastly, being out of Puerto Rico, there was a lot of Spanish on the ship (all announcements were in English and Spanish. I’m not sure if they do that for all cruises?) All in all, we had a great time and enjoyed the week. We will more than likely cruise again next year, just not sure if we are going to stick with Royal on the Freedom next year or try out either Norwegian or Windstar.

Adventure of the seas - one more time

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by tjgrant

The band was great (as usual)

All in all, we had a great time and enjoyed the week.

tjgrant’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas price drops

Cabin was great (expensive, but great). Deck 12 with wall to wall and floor to ceiling windows. I think its called a panoramic ocean view stateroom (suite?). 188 sq ft. Brand new so there are no complaints on the room.
  Adventure of the Seas Deck Plans

• Snorkeling
    It was very windy. The snorkeling wasn’t great, but there were certainly lots of fish. For a first time snorkeller it might have been great, but we have seen many snorkel sites in the Caribbean, so its hard for me to judge. I do think that it was far superior than most shore snorkeling that we’ve done on our own. And at only $50, well worth the money in my opinion.
    View All 163 Snorkeling Reviews
  • Bonaire
    Only 4 of us on the tour. Driver was very knowledgeable and we felt informed. He also went the extra mile(s) and added the salt ponds (part of the South Island tour). Drivers engish was not fantastic, but we were able to communicate.
    View All 13,227 Bonaire Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Bonaire Cruise Port Review
  • Island Tour
    A quick island tour with a couple of stops for sight seeing and pictures, dropping you off a the beach for 2 hours (or you can stay longer and take public transit back to down town for $2)
    View All 191 Island Tour Reviews
  • San Juan
    We rent a house in Puerto Rico (usually in or near Luquillo) for the week before the cruise to start relaxing. We love the island. Always 80+ degrees and lots to do on the island. There is lots to do and see in old San Juan and near the port. I recommend flying in at least a few days early and start relaxing early.
    View All 3,798 San Juan Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's San Juan Cruise Port Review
  • St. Maarten
    Took a taxi to the beach. I didn’t do enough research on the island before arriving. Many of the beaches were not worth going to. Fortunately, the taxi dispatcher gave me some good information and options. We ended up at a great beach (Kim Sha beach).
    View All 4,745 St. Maarten Cruise Port Reviews