3. Norwegian Epic
My wife and I booked this as our second cruise (first being a 7-day on Oasis of the Seas) and we were unfortunately disappointed. This NCL cruise cost nearly the same as a RCCL cruise we were considering and we decided to give NCL a go and see which we would like to build some rewards points with, as we caught the bug and saw many cruises in our future. We read that the NCL Epic was one of the top ships for NCL so we hoped for a comparable experience and so I can only compare to Oasis, but there honestly is none. The food (taste and options) was actually better in my opinion than Oasis, as far as non-fee dining is concerned. The noodle bar was a great alternative to the traditional dining rooms, the Manhattan Room had a great atmosphere, and the buffet was on par with Oasis. We had the unlimited drink package though, and got our money's worth out of it. The bartenders were quite heavy handed, across the board. Outside of the food, Epic fell short. Our cabin was fine, the toilet/shower setup being as strange as everyone says, but cozy and quiet. The beds, however, were uncomfortable and bad. Felt like a cot with a thin mattress pad. Oasis had amazing beds, period. The decks were well staffed and maintained, but the weird thing we noticed was that they would begin to collect and strap down lounge chairs at like 5:30. We were hoping to be able to relax on the deck after dinner and read or enjoy the sounds of the ocean, but clearly they did not want us to. The spice H2O deck had a movie playing one evening, and they even took away the use of the loungers then as well, so naturally no one was watching the movie but for a few of us who had wrangled a wayward chair. This was probably one of the most disappointing aspects of our cruise, as we were looking forward to relaxing on the deck in the evenings. The hot tubs were not hot either, lukewarm at best. One last complaint about the deck areas were that the sinks/soap dispensers in all of the public restrooms, which are motion sensored, didn't sense half of the time, and I was constantly going to a different sink to get soap and then the sink I was at randomly wouldn't sense my hands and so I'd again go to a different sink. They were very clean though, and never felt neglected. The main shopping/dining/entertainment decks (5,6,7) felt a bit crowded all of the time. The casino took up about half of one of the floors, and you heard the constant casino sounds while dining at Taste. O'Sheehans was a great atmosphere though. Felt like a well-worn and popular local sports bar. We didn't attend any shows but the stand-up show, which was pretty good. The Cavern was as nice as described elsewhere, and the Humidor cigar lounge was a nice tucked away gem. Overall though, the different areas didn't feel too distinct from one another (which Oasis did to perfection). As far as the staff goes, they were all nice and tried to please. Our servers were all helpful and nice, and we never felt neglected (as had happened a couple times on Oasis). They also were engaging and fun when they ran trivia or the mock Dancing with the Stars activity (which was some of the most fun to watch of any activity during our cruise). Overall, we just felt this cruise was not worth what we paid, mostly due to quality of the parts not the people. Not terrible, not great. But we likely won't book another NCL cruise in the future.

Not what we were hoping for

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by brandon_fl

• Sail Date: March 2018
  • Destination: Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Inside

brandon_fl’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Epic price drops

Inside
Cabin ID 9184
The interior cabin was quiet, dark, and cozy. The shower/toilet setup was strange, and the bed was pretty bad. Like a cheap motel bed.
Deck 12 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins