3. Norwegian Pearl
The Norwegian Pearl 5 night cruise, sailing out of New Orleans, offered a great bargain and an escape from a cold winter. This was my 6th cruise, but first with NCL. New Orleans is wonderful city with loads to see. I was able to explore the French Quarter prior to boarding. After the cruise, the Garden District and Audabon Park made for a wonderful day. NCL offers staged check-in. I chose an early check-in. This kept me from waiting in lines, but left to wait almost 2 hours in the pre-boarding waiting room. Having early check-in also allowed me to be one of the first to board the ship and to dine. My first impression of the ship was positive, but not jaw-dropping. Everything was clean and attractive, but not fancy or flashy. The steteroom was tiny, but clean, comfortable and well decorated. I appreciate the smaller size of the ship as it was easy to get about. Activities abound. The cruise staff team did an excellent keeping us entertained: quizzes, contests, game shows, dance lessons, Spanish lessons, cooking demos... The "Not So Newly Wed Game" was one of the funniest things that I have ever witnessed. Vincent, the cruise director, had a Johnny Carson like ability to milk details from the contestants. The evening shows in the theatre were quite entertaining. Comedian Eddie Clark was hilarious; one the funniest that I have seen. The Elvis impersonator from the "Legends of Rock" show was excellent. He handed out scarves and kissed dozens of women from an Elvis Fan club. He took his art seriously. The food at the buffet was hit and miss. I prefer dining in the table service restaurants. The food in The Summer Palace, Indigo, Osheen's, and Jade Garden ranged from very good to occasionally excellent. Overall, I liked the free-style dining concept. Service was excellent except for one night, which was abysmal. Shore excursions on Cozumel and Costa Maya were wonderful. I booked ahead online. It was easy and saved me from having to wait in line. Overall, the Norwegian Pearl Western Caribbean Cruise from New Orleans was an incredible bargain. Everything was good or very good. My only complaint is the prevalence of cigarette smoke. It was hard to escape at several places onboard. I could smell it coming into the theater from the casino during the evening shows. The promenade deck was completely encircled by smokers. Even half of the pool was a smoking section. This was off-putting.

Norwegian Pearl Western Caribbean Cruise

lmom1’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Pearl price drops

Inside
Cabin ID 8115
Tiny, but clean, comfortable, and tastefully decorated.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Chacchoben Mayan Ruins
    During a comfortable 1 hour ride to the ruins, our guide gave us a highly educational lecture on Mayan culture and history. The ruins were amazing. I wished that we could have climbed the pyramids, but preservation is more important. I am thankful to have seen this glimpse of history.
    View All 367 Chacchoben Mayan Ruins Reviews
  • Chankanaab National Park Tour
    This shore excursion was wonderful. It is one of the least expensive, but had so much to do. Jorge Del Monte from Tripping Cool led the excursion. He was excellent! He guided on a snorkeling tour. Colorful fish abounded. The Jesus statue and Spanish cannon were fun to view. He would dive to bottom to point out things like sea urchins and even an snake. Next came a lesson in making guacamole. Afterwards, there was time to explore the botanical garden. I love gardens and this one did not disappoint. Then came the tequila presentation. I do not drink, but still found it entertaining and educational. Lastly, we watched a sea lion performance.
    Chankanaab Park Tour was a great choice and an excellent value. Ask for Jorge.
    View All 228 Chankanaab National Park Tour Reviews
  • New Orleans
    New Orleans is a wonderful with loads to see. I was able to explore the French Quarter, Garden District, and Audabon Park before and after the cruise.
    View All 635 New Orleans Cruise Port Reviews