3. Koningsdam
WeI chose this cruise because it was within our budget. It was a re-positioning cruise and it was going to three countries we wanted to visit -- Italy, Portugal and Spain. It was a 16-day maiden voyage for this new ship across the Atlantic. We thought it would be fabulous. We decided to fly to Rome and spend a few days there before getting on the ship. After two days, we took a taxi to the port city and embarked, all of which went very smoothly. Our cabin was just what we wanted. It was spacious, had a balcony and was absolutely clean. Dining was great to begin with, but because we were on a budget, we ate mainly in the free dining room. The food became old for a 16-day cruise. We just tired of it. Also, it was high in salt (we both have high-blood pressure), monotonous and fattening. For such a long cruise, we felt we needed some healthier options. It's not to say the food wasn't varied, but not varied enough for the length of the cruise. The ports were wonderful. The ship chose well. We didn't take any of the recommended excursions, again because of our budget, but we hired taxis at each port and had a wonderful sight-seeing one-on-one tour. We will never forget it. There didn't seem to be enough activities for 16 days. There was no library -- just a bar that had a few books, most of which were not of any particular interest. We didn't realize that this particular ship attracted mainly retirees and even though we are not spring chickens ourselves, we were looking for a more vibrant crowd. The activities they did have planned were more passive than active, although there was a pool and ping pong. I think this cruise was wonderful for most of the people who went. This was the first time we ever went on such a long cruise. If I had known or further researched the on-board activities, I would have brought more books and some of my own crafts that I love to do. All in all, it was lovely. We just got bored at sea.

Great ship and ports of call but lacks activities

Koningsdam Cruise Review by Sharno

All in all, it was lovely. We just got bored at sea.
Sharno’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Koningsdam price drops

It was spacious, clean and had a lovely, but rather small balcony.
  Koningsdam Deck Plans