3. Royal Princess
This was our first sailing on the Royal Princess, but we have sailed many times on other Princess ships. The ship is very beautiful, but a couple of design features disappointed me. I miss the traditional promenade deck where I could walk all the way around the ship. The Royal just has a outdoor patio on each side and no walkway around the ship. There is a walking/running track up top, but between the winds and rain, not the same. The other feature that I didn't like was the glass walkway that extends out from the ship. It's interesting to walk it, but our club class mini-suite was two floors down from it. Walkers had full view of our balcony, and at night its blue lights glowed on our balcony and it blocked our view of the stars and moon, which I missed. We had booked the Club Class, which I really did like, especially for dining. We had a separate entrance to the dining room, and all of the club class diners were separated from the larger room. It was a more intimate experience, and the service was amazing. The head waitress, Iriana, welcomed us each evening and made us feel like we were family. Our favorite waiter, Daniel, was a wonderful as he had been with us on a previous cruise. Besides the service, our meals were fantastic. Each night had many new selections, and in club class, we would have an extra option. Our cabin was a mini-suite, which are always very nice. Plenty of room, spacious bath, and a little bigger balcony. The location at mid-ship was very convenient, and as I mentioned before, the only negative was the walkway above. Our cabin steward was excellent, too. One thing that we found different on this cruise was how many (500) cruisers were doing back to back cruises. With that class of passengers, we found that more elderly passengers, with walkers, wheelchairs, and canes in abundance. Even the entertainment seemed to be geared to their generation. especially the piano player. We have enjoyed many of Princess's piano entertainers in the past who played more current music ( I'm talking 60's and up), were humorous, and very interactive with the crowd. I can remember seeing people gathered everywhere to listen to him. This entertainer, Perry Grant, did appeal to those in their late 70's and up, but not to us. Other entertainment we experienced in the Princess Theater. We really enjoyed Carlos Oscar, the comedien, and everyone we spoke to felt the same. So funny. We went to two production shows. The first was Colors of the World, which is very well done, but not being a fan of opera, we didn't really enjoy it. The second one, Sweet Soul Music, was very good. We wanted to go to the premiere of Secret Silk, but both shows were so booked, that if you didn't get a seat an hour before, you were out of luck. The only Princess tour that we took was on Curacao, The Hato Caves and Willemstad Walking Tour. The caves were very interesting, but the walking tour was quite boring. I'm sure that being on Sunday was a factor, but we left the tour before the end. On the other islands we just booked a taxi tour to see the island or took a ferry to the beach. The one on Bonaire was very interesting visiting the salt ponds in the south and the lake up north with the flamingos. One thing to consider when arriving to the embarkation port in Fort Lauderdale is that if you are departing on a Saturday or Sunday, many other ships are doing so, also. We departed on a Sunday. Once we went through the port security, it took an hour to get to the ship! Once there, everything went quickly, however. Overall, the ship was beautiful, very clean, excellent service, wonderful food, etc. We will sail with Princess, again, but maybe stick to the shorter routes that don't book with the back to back cruisers.

First time on the Royal Princess

louise15’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Princess price drops

Premium Club Class Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin M1 R429
Cabin was beautiful and roomy with a slightly larger balcony. The mid-ship location was very convenient, too. Didn't like the sky walk two floors above, however. Walkers had full view of our balcony, and it didn't feel very private. Also, at night, the lights on the walkway glow blue on the balcony, and it blocks your view of the sky if you like to watch the stars and moon.
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins