3. Carnival Vista
We had just about given up on a carnival cruise lines, BUT thankfully booked on the Vista and my faith in carnival has been restored! It is a relatively new ship, nice decor, light colors, inviting for conversations. This is not a lavish ship with glass elevators, fancy fixtures etc but very welcoming. We liked that it was open, friendly and clean. Our room was perfect for us. Handicap accessible, lots of room and easy to get in and out of. We were on deck 11 (Spa Deck) and was one of the nicest rooms we have had. We did have a window which allowed us to watch the sun rise. Our room steward was great and kept our room tidy at all times. As a handicap (wheelchair bound) person this ship is tight. I avoided the LIDO deck because it was difficult to manipulate the wheelchair between tables, food lines and general seating area. I NEVER waited in a food line because my chair would not fit without moving the barricades etc. I did eat outside where there was more room. The hamburgers were wonderful and easy to get too. Pizza was the normal cruise ship pizza but easy to get to. Up on the 15th floor there is a wonderful "salad" bar. Great fresh food, tasty and easily accessible. The Pig and Anchor on deck 5 is a little hard to find but great food. Worth the search!! Evening dining room was easy to get around in and the service was great compared to the last couple cruises we have been on. Food was good, typical of cruise, yet lots of selections to choose from. I am not a "foodie" so I had no trouble finding things to eat. Servers we much improved from previous experiences. The servers remembered our requests for ice tea, extra better without being reminded every night. They called us by name so I know there are trying to improve their guests relations. Our table of 8 gave each server an additional $20/30 tip per person along with the "standard" tip added to your room. If we ordered room service or coffee in the morning everyone received a tip. Extra service should be rewarded!! Due to the difficulty (which may be only my problem) getting around the LIDO deck we generally went down to the dining room for breakfast. Again, great service and tasty breakfast selection. We did not use any of the specialty restaurants. Guess we are "cheap" but heard great reviews from those who did! Even those ordering in the main dining off the speciality menus loved the food. It did look tasty if you like fresh seafood! I felt carnival really tried to give us a great experience. I really missed the carnival/caribbean vibe on the out decks. Very little music to bob your head too during dining hours. I used to love to get onboard that first day and hear the music playing getting you ready for an exciting week ahead. Really missed that! The decks are super busy - on the upper decks you had to up and out before 6-7 am to get deck chairs. One chair can usually be found but 2-3 chairs in one group was a bit more difficult. Still it can be done! Beautiful ship with lots of things to explore.

Past Carnival guests, with a handicap person's perspective

Carnival Vista Cruise Review by TheBees98

• Sail Date: February 2018
  • Destination: Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Cloud 9 Spa Ocean View (walkway view)

TheBees98’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Vista price drops

Cloud 9 Spa Ocean View (walkway view)
Cabin 6S 11204
Get for a wheelchair bound person. Lots of room and easy to get around it. Always clean and easy to find. It was quiet and gave us a great window to look out of. There is a small deck outside our window but says for crew members only so we followed to rules and didn't go there BUT many people did. We saw lots of people out there to take pictures - looked very windy out there. This was in the front of the ship
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Island Tour
    Simply get off the ship and head toward the beach, ISland tours is right there and cheap Great locally owned tours, did a great jobs, entertaining! If you go to the light house take some crackers/bread to to feed the donkeys, Our guide was a resident and lived there all his life. Answered our questions, did lots of extras!
    View All 101 Island Tour Reviews
  • San Juan
    IF YOU ARE IN a wheelchair or have trouble walking, this is not for you. Took my chair and it got beat to death. Very narrow walkways and my chair made others have to get off the sidewalk - inpassible. Very little handicap accessibility. Beautiful area - saw a lot of the destruction from hurricane. Roads are very uneven, very few curbs you did not have to manually life the chair up on. Pebble, uneven but very historical if you can walk!
    View All 3,854 San Juan Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's San Juan Cruise Port Review
  • St. Maarten
    Very sad, nothing like the St.. Maarten I remember. There was so much destruction that it looked nothing like before. They are putting it back together but..the sites they have choosen to show you are nothing like before. They are trying to entertain us, but it was sad. Traffic was horrible. Many times we were waiting 10-15 minutes just to turn unto another road. The guide was ok but they are trying to re-open tourism but it just wasnt what we expected. It was so sad to see the mess they are in and broke our hearts. I support the island and saw the trials they are going through. they should be commended on their efforts. Best shopping was basically right off the ship. I will go back in another year and hope they have been able to restore more of the island. I would be surprised if they were at 50% - poor people but determined and deserve to be respected! They are working hard. Cannot even imagine what they have been through
    View All 4,789 St. Maarten Cruise Port Reviews