3. Pride of America
We were an inter-generational family cruise party that included my parents, my two elementary school children, and my husband and myself. This was my first time taking a cruise as an adult (although I took a transatlantic trip on Cunard as a child). My husband had never gone on a cruise before, and initially had low expectations -- he started the cruise expecting cramped quarters, crowded public areas, and dining that would put more emphasis on quantity than quality. Overall, the cruise exceeded our expectations. My husband and I splurged for a suite, and found it very comfortable and well-appointed. This particular suite had a very large balcony, and we made good use of it even though it was rainy on more than one day of the trip. We had read that some of the ports would be container ports where the view would not be extremely scenic-- while this was true, it was still a pleasure to sit on our balcony in the late afternoon and also have breakfast there on several mornings. We were impressed that despite the size of the ship, it rarely felt crowded. Probably this is partly the result of the large number of days in port, when guests tend to leave the ship to explore the land. But we also had the impression that the layout of the ship was designed to prevent bottlenecks in most areas. There was only one fine-weather afternoon when the ship was at sea when the pool area looked congested. And after major shows, etc., there was often some congestion at the elevators, but this was always a good impetus for us to take the stairs. Food was generally good although not exceptional, even in the specialty dining rooms. Sometimes dishes were over-salted. We had a little trouble getting consistent information from staff about food allergens in dishes. My children did adore their teppanyaki restaurant experience, although I think they would have loved teppanyaki no matter where they had it. The teppanyaki chef did a terrific job of accommodating our children's food allergies. Our butler Georgia was extremely friendly, gave very responsive service, and showered attention on the children. Our cabin steward Nelson had the amazing ability to sense when we were out of our room and make it up so that it was always clean and fresh for us, multiple times per day. Dining room staff were always very friendly, although sometimes food service was a little slow. I got lost trying to find the spa one day, and a very friendly custodial staff worker went out of his way to walk me to another floor to the right place. Because we preferred to have breakfast in our suite with our younger children, we didn't take advantage of the suite perk of having breakfast at Cagney's. But my parents had breakfast their most days as well as lunch on more than one day, and thought the food was excellent. There were relatively few children on the cruise, even though this took place during President's Day week when school is out in some areas of the country. I got the impression that not that many families with young children chose this particular cruise itinerary-- one our of port excursion leaders mentioned that it was uncommon for him to have younger children off of the cruise ships. Our children did not end up making use of the Splash Academy (although we registered them there on the first day just in case), but they delighted all the cruise features like towel animals on their bed, shows in the Hollywood Theater (although the Las Vegas style show was too risque for for them), and the swimming pool (although this was smaller than what they are used to on land). My daughter was concerned to hear that there are reviews claiming that the ship looks old, and wanted to me to share her impression that the public areas and our suite looked new and attractive. I also had the impression that this was a modern, attractively decorated ship. That said, I will admit that we spent most of our time in port or in our suite, so we didn't spend large amounts of time in the public areas inspecting the furnishings.

Encouraged by my daughter to write this review

Pride of America Cruise Review by fondtravel

• Sail Date: February 2018
  • Destination: Hawaii
  • Cabin Type: Owner's Suite with Large Balcony

fondtravel’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian (NCL) Pride of America price drops

Owner's Suite with Large Balcony
Cabin SC
We had an owner's suite at the extreme forward of the ship on deck 13. This particular suite had an enormous deck, which we really enjoyed, although no extra half bath or private hot tub as can be found in the owner's suites on deck 12. For our family of two adults and two children, the suite worked very well. There were many times when all four of us spent time on lounging on the balcony, eating breakfast, or taking in the view.
Deck 13 Inside Cabins, Suite Cabins