3. Celebrity Infinity
Big Takeaways for this vacation (Some very specific because of destination and ports) 1. Use the Celebrity excursions, and book them BEFORE boarding and get to the Celebrity theater early to get on yours. My friend got to a theater for a 915 departure tour and by 910 the tour was already gone. He ran to the pier, but ship was already full and was told tour was oversold by a seat. Many other tours were sold out well before boarding. Luckily the concierge Javier, was telling people at arrivals to sign up for tours immediately after boarding, this really helped a friend of mine, who hadn’t pre booked. 2. Don’t wear expensive jewelry or watches while sightseeing in Buenos Aries, keep cash and expensive cameras out of sight as much as possible. Quite the band of pickpockets both walking and on motorcyles, and they work as a team (one or more distracts, while other grabs). 3. Pick one or two credit cards to bring and call the credit card company issuer and let them know you’ll be in Argentina, Falklands, as we had a few people had their CC’s denied (I chose two Credit Union accounts since neither has foreign transaction fees) 4. If you can afford it buy a wide angle lens or borrow one from a friend. It will be the most magnificent scenery you’ll ever see in my humble opinion. The scale, the wildlife and natural beauty are truly stunning. 5. Don’t be surprised if you see a port change/cancellation or modification. From my research doesn’t matter which cruise line you use Celebrity/NatGeo/Lindbladt/Princess/HAL/Silversea , ~25-50% chance (most always because of weather) you’ll see a change or two in your itinerary. Chill out and don’t go nuclear about it. The Captain didn’t purposely do it to ruin your photo ops, if it’s conceivable to safely get in a port, they do. That being said, they won’t endanger you or others just so you can get the money shot of you and Free Willy the Orca or Tennessee Tuxedo and his penguin pals . 6. Buy the transfers from ship to Airport/City, it’s only $28 and they bring your luggage directly to airport. You get off the ship, take bus to terminal, and get the bus to airport while everyone else is grabbing their luggage, and trying to figure out where the taxis, and private cars are. It’s a madhouse outside the terminal. 7. Don’t exchange money at airport, found we were getting about 20 pesos per dollar exchanging it on our own, or 19 if I used for purchases using my credit union VISA card, and would have gotten 16 at airport or bank 8. MickeyLive (AKA Mickey Richardson) The best onboard presentations I’ve ever experienced on Celebrity (and I’ve done about 30 cruises). He comes from a tech background, but he has a quest for knowledge, he knows so much and he really knows how to focus on the destination. He then gives you the history, the back story, so by the time you arrive, you’re hungry for it. He’s insightful, funny, and also promotes a photo sharing service (for FREE) where passengers can share their photos, Mickey compiles the best of all and gives the CD to the passengers who participated in the photo share. He was a SUPERB asset to the Infinity team. I wish they had a Mickey on every voyage. Another small thing Mickey reminds you is to be KIND to each other, it may sound inconsequential, but sometimes we all need to remember we’re here on a holiday not an invasion, so slow down, the buffet, shows, and endless ice creams and pizza will be there...... and try to enjoy each other, and who knows might even meet some other nice folks. THE VOYAGE About a month before we sailed we received notice that because of an issue discovered with one of the ships two azipods they would be adjusting our schedule as they were limiting the speed on the affected azipod. It meant we would lose our stop in Puerto Madryn, Argentina and adjust the times on the other ports to compensate. Really had no impact on us at all. My understanding in simple terms as the ship has two giant engines called azipods, and from what I understood of them, the problem was one was the thrust bearing on one azipod was operating at a higher temperature than normal. So to prevent the issue from getting worse, they limit the maximum speed on the affected azipod. This gives you a slightly slower average speed. It can still be used at any speed, but this is the conservative approach to take until it reaches its next drydock. I know when I visited the engineering control room, we were cruising at 19 knots, with one azipod running slightly lower in speed than the other. Normally cruising speed is’s about 21 knots (maximum is 24 knots). These Azipods are like any big piece of mechanical equipment, and just wear over time. One of the engineers said that's why they rebuild them every two years as a preemptive maintenance measure. I'll get the annoyances out of the way first then onto the good stuff. Annoyance-The ships voicemail on Infinity doesn’t work. It’s a nuisance problem but seems to be an ongoing issue since it has been ongoing at least as far back as my last voyage in May 2017. It didn’t work again the whole cruise, and you do miss information, some of it important. Annoyance-We had an ongoing issue with a Friends of Bill meeting (Alcoholics Anonymous). Was scheduled in the library 5PM the first two nights, and because that was a trafficked area, we asked to have it moved to any other quiet place at any time. Day 3 it was moved to a conference room but they forget to include that change in the daily schedule. By day 5 it was moved to the conference room, but there was a Thai group matching movies there. Days 6-10 same thing, other groups would show up even though we had the room according to the schedule, including one day a Celebrity future cruise presentation, so we’d have to move after the daily apologies from guest relations/event coordinator. It wasn’t a big deal other than it should have been corrected 3 or 4 days in not 10 days in. Did try notifying guest relations, event coordinator, and hotel director as well on different days, but never really got resolved till about the 10th day, so it caused a lot of frustration that it never should of. Annoyance-Checkout the fine print in the online booking offers. We had one offered this cruise “save up to $300 early booking bonus” with no asterisked terms or conditions, and “Exclusive offer-Receive up to $500 OBC*” *Terms and condition apply I booked an 11 day Caribbean on RF and turns out you only save the $300 if you book it as a non refundable deposit, and it wasn’t eligible for the any of the up to $500 OBC other than the 4 perks that come with the suite. And believe me I looked, and that was the best deal they had. When I got back to my stateroom, checked online and the onboard booking deal was same as one I would have gotten had I booked it myself with Celebrity. So since you have the luxury of looking up prices onboard, comparison shop, and see if the online booking is a value. NOW ONTO THE GREAT STUFF Rooms- I selected a CC2 this trip, and pleased in every regard. Although Infinity is 17 years old it’s a well maintained vessel. The furnishings in the room were well maintained and even on inspection of the caulking in the bathroom, it looked well kept. Deck rails looked great, Curtains and linens plush and not worn. Plenty of hot water and water pressure throughout the whole voyage. Had an extraordinary stateroom attendant named Budi, who was a smiling friendly hard working man who met my every wish before I could even ask him. THE FOOD TUSCAN-I adored Tuscan. It’s a kind of a mix of steakhouse with Italian overtones. We ate 6 times while onboard (we had a specialty dining 6 package ), and never had a disappointing meal. Every single soul that worked in that venue was spectacular from the maitre’d Jovel, the talented, friendly, and professional wait staff. I think we had a different member of the wait staff serve us each night, and really enjoyed learning about their origins and experiences. Always smiling faces escorting us in, delicately making suggestions on food choices, and combinations to try. Without question loved the filet of beef the best, it rarely needed a sauce to complement its flavor, but I tried several to see if it enhanced it. It usually gave it a nice polish, and found the peppercorn sauce my favorite, The meatballs for an appetizer are to die for as the blend of pork, veal and beef they use literally melts as it hits your mouth. The sea bass also an excellent choice. Veal Marsala was good, but not great. Loved the pasta choices as well, the lobster rigatoni (muy Bella) Great choice of salads and desserts as well¬¬¬. The spinach was a bit bland, the mashed potatoes were delightful, but all in all, not really anything that needs changing in Tuscan. 5/5 stars QSINE is like an off Broadway play it can really amuse, entertain, and fill your palette if it’s executed correctly. Flip side is it can seem too contrived without the right direction and audience. The night we went we had a group of us 17 at two tables. I had the feeling the waiters struggled with the execution, food and drinks came randomly. The two waiters certainly tried their best, but really seemed overwhelmed. Ideally in my experience Qsine works really well when there is a group of 4-6 people, anything more or less is a challenge. The menu is strong though, and the presentation makes it worth the visit. From a logistics perspective, for this particular cruise and its cold weather make Qsine an additional challenge, being up high on deck and not a lot of insulation. Bring a sweater as the change in temperature was substantially colder when we left from when we came in. Would give it a 4/5. TRELLIS-Thought it was a great place to dine. We had an exceptional waiter and assistant, Jose and Juan Carlos at table 224. Also was happy to see the maitre’d/manager at the MDR checking in at least 4 or 5 times to get a feel on how happy we were eating in Trellis. She really did a great job (also nice to see woman as the maitre’d/manager in the MDR) The food service was excellent. Seemed to be a bit spotty on getting drinks though, as the sommelier would usually take the drink orders, but on more than one occasion we had to ask someone else a second time after nothing showed up 20 minutes into the meal. The variety was good though, soups, starters, and consommé’s superb, main courses were very nice as well. Desserts were very nice as well. Of course the last of our three evening chic nights had the best menu with lobster, chateaubriand, and rack of lamb featured on the menu. Would give it a 3/5. SUSHI of Five-I preface this with the fact that I’m not much of a Sushi fan, but still loved the experience. My friend ordered a variety of things for us to try and all were quite tasty and had a nice freshness to them. They had some steamed lobster and shrimp dumplings as well that I really enjoyed. Only problem I had with Sushi at 5 was the closeness of the tables. After we sat down the waiter came by and adjusted the table next to us presumably to set it up for guests. We literally had a span of 10” between tables (other side was blocked by a wall) to get in and out, and a lighting fixture above the 10” gap. After dining, I stood up, took a knock on the head from the light fixture, bumped the table and spilled the soy sauce on the next table, then caught caught the soy dish. I’m sure it looked like a physical comedy sketch to anyone watching. I then carefully extracted myself from the table. Would give it a 3/5. ENTERTAINMENT-Did see one or two shows, but nothing that left any lasting impressions. I do like watching the energy and enthusiasm of the house dancers and singers though. Alejandro the CD seemed to be a good master of ceremonies for most events phasing in and out as needed to keep things moving along. Activities manager also good at keeping things flowing. Did really enjoy the acoustic sets by the Stone Free duo, nice mix of music spanning the 1970’s to current, and well adapted to trying new requests. Judah Moore was also quite nice. The other 4 piece band/singer combination I wasn’t overly impressed with, but then again I’m not Jimmy Iovine, so does it really matter. I always enjoy the ship game shows type formats such as “liars club” “not so newlywed game” and “are you smarter than a ships officer”, when they engage passengers into the act. Did a great job on those. Senior officers were around at all the photo ops and meet and greets. I noticed the F&B manager Ivan in and out of almost every kitchen checking up on things which I thought was great. I didn’t really interface though with any of the Senior Managers, except for a cursory hello, all seemed nice enough though. EXCURSIONS I did two, good value for the money on both (see #1 up above) 1. Ushuahia, Argentina- Journey to the Sea Wolves and Penguins $159 You walk about 200 feet across the pier to an awaiting catamaran and begin the journey. About an hour out, first stop is a Sea Lion Island that the catamaran circles about giving all a photo op, second stop is another land mass home to hundreds of Cormorants (think mini me penguins that can fly), third stop is Penguins galore. We saw literally hundreds in three species types. 2. Stanley, Falkland Island- Bluff Cove Lagoon You walk to the end of the pier to some awaiting 16 passenger buses that take you closer to Bluff Cove (it’s a family owned 35000 acre sheep farm), then you are handed over to a local team of Land-Rover drivers for the 25 minute off-road adventure to the Penguins. We saw three types King, Gentoo and Magellanic penguins , and a whole lot of birds. You get close enough to get photos, but far enough where you don’t disrupt. They also have a nice coffee shop where they serve FREE coffee, tea, cakes, and pastry as part of the tour. 3. Montevideo-I did on my own- Tour bus on end of pier 3.5 hours for $25. You get what you pay for. I think the guide knew less about the city than I did Me-When was Uruguay’s’ Independence? Her-It was many years ago Me-50, 100, 200 years? Her-Yes, somewhere in there Me-Who is the man on the statue? Her-He is very famous General Me-What’s his name? Her-I will find out Still had fun though and found Montevideo lovely. The markets are only about a 10 minute walk from the pier. Food was fantastic, and felt safe and secure. I could easily have spent a week in the city. Especially love the graffiti, it was gorgeous CC Host Paulina Ugalde and Concierge Javier Hernandez-Both of these two went out of their way to introduce themselves and explain the many services that they can help with. Saw them out and about everywhere, answering questions and projecting their really positive upbeat attitudes, great brand ambassadors for Celebrity. I really enjoyed talking to each and in awe of how much pride they took in their work Debarkation-Kind of mess at first glance, but easy to navigate IF you plan ahead. One you leave the ship they escort you off to buses to terminal where you can pick up your luggage. IF YOU SELECTED TRANSFERS TO airport by Celebrity, you don’t even need to pick up your luggage, instead it’s automatically transferred to the airport, and is waiting for you upon the buses arrival. In this case(of Buenos Aries being the departure point) the buses were much easier than a cab or private transfers would have been. Their just isn’t anything clearly marked like taxi stands, airport hotel buses, etc, so glad we opted for the ships transfers. I’ll close this out with, if you ever get the opportunity, JUST DO IT. They only do 2 or 3 Antarctic voyages a year because of weather, the other 6-9 months a year its -20 to -80 degrees out with 3 hours of sunshine, so not real user friendly to tourists. I was really proud to learn what they do to keep Antarctica intact in terms of who/what/where/when is allowed, and the prohibitions that are made to keep it that way. Read about what’s allowed and what isn’t here. https://iaato.org/home Odds are we are human, so eventually we’’ll probably muck up Antarctica over its minerals, water or something else. See it why you can in all its bold, brawny, frosty fury, its just plain gorgeous. Sadly though, you DO NOT get a stamp in your passport that says you entered or exited Antarctica….darn it.

Stunning Antarctica & SA-Thank You Team Infinity

Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by johhnnyt

• Sail Date: February 2018
  • Destination: South America
  • Cabin Type: Concierge Class 2

THE VOYAGE

I'll get the annoyances out of the way first then onto the good stuff.

*Terms and condition apply

NOW ONTO THE GREAT STUFF

THE FOOD

EXCURSIONS I did two, good value for the money on both (see #1 up above)

Me-When was Uruguay’s’ Independence?

Her-It was many years ago

Me-50, 100, 200 years?

Her-Yes, somewhere in there

Me-Who is the man on the statue?

Her-He is very famous General

Me-What’s his name?

Her-I will find out

johhnnyt’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Infinity price drops

Concierge Class 2
Cabin C2 7186
I selected a CC2 this trip, and pleased in every regard. Although Infinity is 17 years old it’s a well maintained vessel. The furnishing in the room were well maintained and even on a detailed inspection of the caulking in the bathroom, it looked exceptional. Plenty of hot water and water pressure throughout the whole voyage. Drapes linens, towels, etc all in good shape. Had an extraordinary stateroom attendant named Budi, who was a smiling friendly hard working man who met my every wish before I could even ask him. Loved my daily canapes.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• City Walking Tour
    Full day, fully customizable, walked over 10 miles and also used subway, buses and taxis
    View All 5 City Walking Tour Reviews
  • Gentoo Penguins in Bluff Cove
    Loved this tour, gracious hosts that live on a 25000 acre sheep farm that they share with the 3 varieties on penguins. I really liked that we could get close, but still far away from the penguins so that they didn't seem bothered
    View All 29 Gentoo Penguins in Bluff Cove Reviews
  • Hammer Island Penguin Rookery
    Excellent tour, three stops, and each better than the last. Loved that the catamaran beached itself to allow great pictures, but also loved didn't get in the way of the Penguin colony
    View All 3 Hammer Island Penguin Rookery Reviews