3. Viking Sky
As I had enjoyed the limited time I had spent in Norway on previous visits I was interested in the "Into the Midnight Sun" combined with the "Viking Homelands" voyage booked as "Baltic Jewels and Midnight Sun". I was able to convince my daughter to travel with me as she had sufficient holidays to fit into this schedule. We were able to leave home on the Friday evening and after 24 hours of travel arrived in London early the next morning (flying with time allows that), which was the day that we could board our ship. We had both travelled with Viking previously, but only on River Cruises, so it was comforting to find the same relaxed attitude on this ship and the same brilliantly trained staff. Yes we did have a few problems with various items, but the crew on the boat were very willing to sort any problems that arose. There was a hiccough when the cruise title changed while we were in Bergen and all previous data was wiped (our cruise was booked as a single cruise) and also when some of our excursions were cancelled, but it was all finally rectified. Unfortunately this did take some time and a few trips to Guest Services, but it was good to know I wasn't the only passenger to have struck this problem. The ship was immaculate, the crew attentive and courteous, the facilities all that could be desired and the client’s needs catered to. It may have been that I was travelling with a younger lady, but we were well remembered by any of the crew we interacted with. It was nice that our choice of drinks (from the water preferred to the non-alcoholic drinks I chose) was remembered and even the variety of tea each preferred in the Wintergarden. Embarkation was a dream and subsequent embarkations after daily excursions also went well. There was a very long queue after out day at North Cape and the return to Honningsvåg, Norway. The crew obviously knew boarding would be slow, so we were met by staff with drinks and crew members singing to the music being played. My daughter managed three glasses of bubbly before we boarded. I believe something similar happened when passengers returned from the day trip to Berlin, but we had opted for Rostock instead. We were fortunate to have a Penthouse Veranda cabin with single beds which worked well. There was even enough storage for two women. My only remembered concern was the poor quality of the Wifi. My daughter had lectures to prepare and send while away and she spent many a late night and early morning hours to be able to complete this. She even skipped some excursions as she needed to get some sleep. Many of our meals were in The World Café as we were on limited time, but our best meal was had at The Chef's Table. We only utilised Room Service on one occasion and managed to miss having breakfast at The Restaurant because of our chosen times for excursions but appreciated the quality of the food and service when we dined there. Our favourite excursion - Kyaking at Geiranger, Norway and surprisingly the "Jazz Cruise Through Copenhagen" was fantastic. I really appreciated the absence of younger passengers and the 'no casino' as it was nice to just enjoy the high quality that was evident throughout the cruise. On a very busy day in St Petersburg followed by a night at the ballet, we were unable to have dinner in the time between those activities. When we arrived back from the ballet there was a plate of sandwiches and some cookies in our room. A lovely touch as was the bottled water offered as we left the ship and hot towel when we returned.

Lovely month spent on an enjoyable cruise

Viking Sky Cruise Review by Valentine6625

Valentine6625’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Sky price drops

Wow a cabin large enough for two women and all their paraphernalia. We had twin bed and still room to walk between the bedding. The USB plugs were plentiful and the daily water and refreshing of the refrigerator contents was appreciated. Beds were very comfortable, bathroom mirror was large, but lacked a magnifying mirror for aged eyes, and the amenities were keep very clean.

• Ulriken Cable Car
    It is average as there was very low cloud on that day and consequently the views from Mt Ulriken were not to be seen. The coffee at the café was lovely
    View All 21 Ulriken Cable Car Reviews
  • Kayaking
    I know I've said it before but this activity was fabulous. So enjoying, informative and some exercise thrown in. No only did we kayak, but we learnt about the Seven Sisters waterfall, the suitor who guards them and saw goats who had come down the fjord side to get to the water. Loved It.
  • Molde
    Once again we split our choices. I had wanted to visit the Troll Cave but did read the difficult climb to arrive there - so sent daughter with her camera. I did Mardalsfossen Waterfall Hike and enjoyed the day, meeting lovely fellow passengers on the trip and enjoying a 'Norwegian' style lunch.
    View All 38 Molde Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Molde Cruise Port Review
  • Pulpit Rock
    Although on the section section of our cruise it was still part of our booked journey. The day was overcast with very low cloud, a bit chilly and some drizzle BUT it was so enjoyable. The cruise along Lysefjord was great and the captain highlighted views on the way. AND it was topped off with a stop for waffles and coffee on the return trip. I intend to do it again next year.
    View All 57 Pulpit Rock Reviews
  • Tromso
    My daughter loves dogs and has dogs of a similar type to huskies. She loved this (it seemed too strenuous for me) and really enjoyed the whole experience. She did return to the boat late and even had security checking on her, but the bus managed to get its rear wheels bogged.
    View All 12,765 Tromso Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Tromso Cruise Port Review
  • Polar Museum and Wilderness Center
    The Polar Museum was very informative, but I found it became hot and stuffy after awhile.
    View All 7 Polar Museum and Wilderness Center Reviews
  • Tromso Highlights Tour
    We did the highlights of Tromso in the morning and were shown why there is little traffic at street level. Amazing underground road system even having round-a-bouts. Once again a fantastic guide.
    View All 32 Tromso Highlights Tour Reviews