3. Carnival Miracle
I'm going to start by saying that this was not my first cruise so I had something to compare it to. Granted, my husband and I have decided we are not cruise people, but this seemed to be exceptionally bad. We got to the cruise port in Tampa where the signage isn't great. We went upstairs before we realized that we were supposed to give our luggage to someone downstairs. No problem, we went back down, did that and then returned to the check in area. The staff was extremely friendly as we went to each stop, first to check our boarding passes and id, then to the x-ray machine and then to get our cruise IDs. The line was long but moved quickly. We didn't leave the port on time, not sure why. It was very warm and sunny. We had to do the safety drill out on the deck and I almost passed out from being in the direct sun and stuffed in like sardines. That wasn't a good start. There was no water in the adult pool when we got on the ship. They didn't fill it until the next day. It would've been nice to take a dip after getting settled. A day or so after they did fill it, it looked murky. I didn't want to swim in it. The cabin itself was pretty small. We paid for a room with a balcony. The room was very outdated. There was only one wine glass and no hand soap in our bathroom. No conditioner in the shower. Had I known that I would've brought some. When we asked for things from our room attendant, Putu, we got them quickly. He was great. Shout out to him! Right away the ship was vibrating. And it never stopped.... I've never had to try to sleep before with my bed vibrating. And the chairs at dinner...and everything. ugh. Way too rocky for my tastes. The food in the dinning room wasn't good. We ate there twice, the first night and then at some point later in the cruise. The first night the corn chowder was good. The calamari was rubbery and tiny!! The cesar salad and the swordfish were very fishy. The roasted chicken was okay but nothing spectacular. The chocolate cake was tasty but not cooked enough. Mine was like soup. Day 2 we went to the gym first and it was pretty warm in there. There were wipes to clean the machines. The machines worked well but it was way too rocky on the seas to do the treadmill or eliptical. Made me feel sick. I went to have breakfast and got an omelet cooked to order. Yum. By 10:30am there was no room at the adult pool. I found one chair available at another pool and hung out there for the day since we were at sea. For dinner that night we paid extra to go to the steak house, Nick and Nora's. It's $35/person but totally worth it. We got a free bottle of wine and the food was amazing. We got an amuse of lobster blt, focaccia bread with butter and spreads, then I had the onion soup and dh had the crab cake. We both had the iceberg wedge salad. He got the rib eye steak with baked potato and broccoli. I had the surf and turf with mashed potato and creamed spinach. For dessert he did the cheesecake and I had a chocolate sampler. Service was great as well. Day 3 we went to Grand Cayman and had to take the tender over to the island. We did the tour of the brewery, rum factory and distillery which was great. Then we went to the beach for an hour. It was gorgeous. I wish that we could have spent much more time. We had to be back on the boat by 2:15. That night we went to 2 comedy shows. Both were funny but Spike Davis was better. Day 4 we went to Roatan. We walked laps around the ship for exercise, then had breakfast and then did the beach excursion. We paid for 2 tickets by mistake when you only need one ticket for 2 people. But, Carnival was good about refunding us for that. The beach was nice but fairly crowded. It was very windy leaving port and the boat was quite bumpy. Day 5 we were supposed to go to Belize. This is another tender port with about a 30 minute ride. The seas were too rough so we had to skip this port. What a bummer as we were not expecting (or looking forward to) another day at sea. We booked spa treatments instead and spent some time at the pool. The staff scheduled more activities for people to take part in but as usual they were pretty lame for us. We're in our 30s and most of the activities seemed to be geared towards an older crowd. Dinner was pizza and salad. The guy making the pizzas was great. He was very quick and the pizza was tasty. One recommendation would be to have more toppings for the pizza station. My husband cut up some pineapple and ham for his one day. The guy was happy to accommodate. How about some buffalo chicken? We never saw that either. The soft serve station was great. I'd suggest adding some whipped cream and hot fudge there. Day 6 we went to Cozumel. We did an excursion to passion island. The weather was warm but overcast. We hung out on the beach, had some drinks and food which were included. The taco lunch was really good. The weird thing was they never had tacos on the ship. In Mexico...seriously??? Or any ethnic type food really. I think it'd be better if they had some of the local cuisine on the ship. The last day we were back at sea just hanging by the pool. Overall, we wished we had stayed on solid ground. The seas were rough, the boat vibrated, the food was average at best, the activities were more for old people and there was way too much time at sea. Never again. The only positive really was the excursions and the staff at Carnival. I have to say everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. I wish we had longer at each of the ports. It didn't seem to be enough time. My husband never wanted to get back on the ship.

Never Again

Cabin 8C 4208
Small and outdated.
Empress Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Island Tour
    We did the excursion to passion island. We took a catamaran to the island, hung out at the beach, and got to partake in drinks and food. The weather wasn't the best, but we still had fun. We enjoyed the catamaran ride there and back.
    View All 84 Island Tour Reviews
  • Brewery Tour
    Wish this could have been longer. We went to the brewery first. They allowed us six large samples. Then we went to the rum factory where we had some rum cake and a couple samples of rum. Then we went to the distillery where they just let everyone help themselves to samples. After that we went to the beach for an hour. The water was the clearest we've ever seen. The beach was gorgeous. Wish we could've stayed all day.
    View All 26 Brewery Tour Reviews
  • Beach
    We bought two tickets for this when you really only needed to buy one. Luckily Carnival refunded our money for that. We took the gondola thing from the port to the beach. That almost gave me a heart attack and was unnecessary. You can actually walk to the beach faster. Once at the beach you have to go to the hut to get a bracelet and your beach floats. Then you go to the sitting area where someone escorts you to your chairs. We got a spot right up front but it was pretty crowded. It was quite warm. I had to keep going in the water to cool off. We did have an umbrella but it wasn't much relief. They had some people walking around to take drink orders and food as well if you wanted it.