3. Jewel of the Seas
We normally book Carnival but got a great 2 for 1 deal at Christmas and sailed 8 weeks later. Overall we had a great time but we now know we like the larger ships so we won't be booking this class again. The ship bounced around the entire week even had to give our room steward some help for seasickness. There wasn't much to do around the ship, the only fun areas were the main lobby area which was REALLY small and never could see anything unless you camped out there and missed dinner. They had no dancers until the last formal night, they flew in some comedians and a magician which were just so, so. No more fun in the dining room they cut out the singing and dancing. They also have a very small selection on the dinner menus and for this cruise had some weird selections for the entrees. I normally have a hard time not ordering 3 dinners but one night I didn't even order 1 because nothing sounded remotely good. BUT I do have to say the food that I did like was very good and prepared well. There were many little things that we didn't like and think we are just avid Carnival people and like more fun and people with some enthusiasm the atmosphere was just a bit too boring for us. On the positive side this was the easiest boarding and deboarding of any cruise we have been on. If you board in San Juan and your boat leaves at 8:30 pm don't worry get to the port at noon and walk right on! The food at the Windjammer was REALLY good for buffet food. They have an amazing Indian food chef I couldn't get enough of the curry chicken. Also, the staff on this boat from the wait staff, cabin steward, bartendars to the maintenance people were incredibly nice. Everyone greeted you with a smile and had something to say besides hello. I have been on RC before and I have never had the maitre'd in the main dinning room come by every night to see how we were doing and mean it, not just do it for the tips. I also liked how they had bottled water to purchase and fresh towels for you to take as you got off the ship for the excursions. We also dropped our dirty towels at the check in and were able to get fresh ones for the night if we wanted. Other cruises I have had to run around chasing down someone to get towels before an excursion. On this ship do NOT book rooms 4561, 4560, 4559, 45558. They are right off the lobby where the only real fun was for all the evenings, very loud and these rooms also had a sewage smell all week.

Ship is too small for us

Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by jobella418

jobella418’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas price drops

Room steward was the BEST, such a sweetie. Didn't mind being on the main floor we were far enough away from the noise. The window was large, Carnival has a better layout of the rooms than this ship does. I didn't like having to split up all my bathroom stuff into 3 cabinets, half in the bathroom the other in the room, I never knew where anything was. The closet design is dumb, shelving is like 4 inches deep and no rod for long items. I did like the safe was a Pin number didn't have to use a card that was nice. OH BUT the bed was like a mediaeval torture rack. If you like sleeping on a rock slab you will love it. If not be prepared for many sleepless nights. We asked for a topper but it didn't do anything.
  Jewel of the Seas Deck Plans

• Beach
    Easy and cheap day. Got off ship for beach day, hired a taxi to Carslie Beach, got set up with beer, chairs and umbrella and had a great time. Hired a boat off the beach to take us out snorkelling the shipwreck and swim with turtles. I think we spent maybe $60 for the day.
  • Martinique
    We tried to hire a driver to take us around the city but NO ONE would help us because there was only 2 of us. There is nowhere to go here and nothing to see. The only things they provide is taking you to another island for a beach day we didn't want to do that. We were off ship for an hour and went right back on people were rude. I would never go back to this place again. Seemed most people on ship had the same experience because the ships pools were packed by noon.
    View All 355 Martinique Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Martinique Cruise Port Review
  • St. Croix
    I give them an excellent rating because when we showed up for our tour they said the sea was too ruff and the snorkeling wouldn't be very good. They said we could chance it and go out anyway or give us a full refund. They refunded us on the spot and set us up with a beach day within walking distance which was a lot of fun.
    View All 12,983 St. Croix Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's St. Croix Cruise Port Review
  • Snorkeling
    The seas were ruff so pretty scary getting on and off the boat but they had us out for several hours and we had plenty of time in the water to see the underwater museum. Would have been prettier if it was sunny but it was an overcast day. Walking distance from ship.
    View All 4 Snorkeling Reviews
  • ATV
    Just off the boat, they had an ATV waiting we hopped on and went all over the island by ourselves the entire day! It was so much fun, there isn't any street signs or street lights only roundabouts so you have to have a good sense of direction! We took the wrong turn alot but found our way around just fine. We were able to see the hurricane devistation up close and personal as well as see the most amazing beaches I have ever laid my eyes on.