3. Celebrity Solstice
My family and I along with several of our relatives took the Dec. 20 cruise to the Eastern Caribbean on the Solstice. While we had a pretty good time, I think the general consensus was that in a number of different areas, Celebrity could have done a better job. Let me first state that the ship was absolutely beautiful-the public rooms such as the various dining rooms and bars were contemporary. We stayed in the Concierge Class-the rooms while somewhat small were stylish and the bathroom was functional. I am not sure if it really was worth the money to stay in Concierge class - I believe the rooms on the floor below us were just as nice and were less money. As far as the food, I would say that it was pretty good but not great. Some members of our family were quite disappointed with the quality and variety of the food in the Grand Epernay dining room for dinner. I think that we all liked the Oceanview Cafe on the 14th floor. There were a number of problems however. I found it surprising that the Oceanview Cafe closed at 12AM on Christmas Eve. We were not the only ones who were looking for a late night snack and thought that this dining option should have been open, especially for a holiday. The main issue that we had was the fiasco that happened on Christmas day in Labadee, Haiti. We arrived 1 hour late and the captain announced that because of this delay, we would not be having the holiday barbecue on the island but on the ship. That is fine, but neither he nor anyone else announced that ALL of the dining options were closed on the island. On the map that they give out, there were a variety of cafes and restaurants listed. As anyone can imagine, we along with more than half of the ship disembarked to enjoy a day in the sun and discovered that there was no food to be had-no hotdogs, no hamburgers, no sandwiches. All they brought from the ship were some cookies and sweetrolls for us to eat. It is unbelievable to me that we paid all this money and the Celebrity staff could not do something more for us on Christmas day. I don't understand why they were unable to make sandwiches and bring it out to the island. We ended going back to the ship at 4 PM because we were starving. And what happens once on board? The Mast Grill, which serves hotdogs and hamburgers, has 40 people in line and The Oceanview cafe is not serving any food either except for pizza and salads and has similar lines. Celebrity really failed to address this problem and there were many people upset about the lack of food options for that day.

Good not great with a few mishaps

Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by Kirk Roberts

Kirk Roberts’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Celebrity Solstice price drops

• San Juan
    We took the Celebrity Old and New San Juan tour-other than the visit to one of the forts, it was a pretty boring tour and generally not worth $36 a person. We also did not spend enought time in the port. We arrived too late in the day- 2:00 PM and we had to be back on the ship at 7:45. Old town San Juan did have character but we did not have enought time to experience it properly
    View All 3,852 San Juan Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's San Juan Cruise Port Review
  • St. Maarten
    Phillipsburg was a giant shopping mall and it did not have as much character as we expected. However, there was quite a bit to do on the rest of the island and there were many other tours that we did not go on because we wanted to check out Phillipsburg as first time visitors. We all agreed that we wanted to go back to St. Maarten
    View All 4,787 St. Maarten Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's St. Maarten Cruise Port Review
  • Tortola
    As a group, we had mixed feelings about Tortola. Road Town is not set up for tourism and is more of a real town, which is fine for the locals but not for tourists. Getting off the ship, we were accosted by a variety of men trying to sell us tours and they were incredibly agressive-this was a turn off. We ended up taking an independent bus tour, which showed us some highlights of the island. I did like Long Bay beach-unfortunately it was rather windy and we could not sit out and enjoy the beach as we would have liked.
    View All 1,411 Tortola Cruise Port Reviews