3. Grandeur of the Seas
I have been on more than 40 cruises on lines ranging from NCL and RCI to Celebrity and Princess. This was my worst cruise ever. The food was awful. The only decent food on the ship was at the specialty restaurants, for which you had to pay. The buffets consisted mainly of ethnic foods, grey hamburgers, and salad bars. The dining room had mediocre meats and small portions. If you wanted a good steak in the main dining rooms, again, you had to pay extra. A month earlier, I had been on a Holland America cruise and had a great time. The food was wonderful, especially the buffets, where you could get made-to-order pastas, sushi, and sandwiches as well as an extensive selection of fresh foods. You could also get made-to-order beef, chicken, and mushroom burgers, which were excellent, as were the freshly made french fries that came with them. Regarding our cabin, nine times out of ten, when we opened the door to our bathroom, we noticed a heavy sewage smell. This smell was there throughout most of the cruise. And, a few days into the cruise, the carpet beside the bed became saturated after a heavy rain outside. For the following two days, we had a huge blower fan in our room to dry out the carpet. To make matters worse, the weather the week of our cruise was atrocious. Granted, that wasn't the fault of the cruise line, but they could have changed the itinerary when they saw how awful the weather was going to be. We've been on other cruises where that happened. Instead, the ship stopped at all but one of our scheduled ports, even if the weather was so cold that there wasn't anything open, which occurred in Charleston, SC. Most of the passengers didn't even get off the ship in SC. And, like us, many of the passengers didn't book any shore excursions because it was way too cold to go to any beaches. And, many of those passengers who did book excursions had them cancelled due to the excessive cold. To make the cruise even more special, it was extended 2 days when a problem with the steering was discovered. Because we had expected the cruise to be a 9-day cruise, not an 11-day cruise, we had commitments back home that we had to get to. As a result, we left the ship at the last port (along with six buses full of passengers) and drove a rental car home to Baltimore. When we asked for reimbursement for our trip and compensation for our trouble, we were refunded a total of $200, which didn't even cover the cost of the trip. Meanwhile, the passengers on the next cruise were refunded 50% of their cruise fee, and the remaining passengers on the ship who had purchased full Internet and drink packages got the extra days free. In addition, we had 42 confirmed cases of norovirus, and as a result, you were practically assaulted by ship personnel with antibacterial soap everywhere you went. Maybe I'm spoiled, but cruises used to be the epitome of travel: The food was fabulous, the atmosphere was elegant, and the ports of call were top rate. Not so on this cruise. As we were leaving the ship to go home, the cruise director commented that at least RCI was still better than Carnival. I'm not so sure of that. What I am sure if is that I'll be treating RCI just like Carnival from now on: I'll never go on another one,

Worst Cruise Ever

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by shedeals

• Sail Date: January 2018
  • Destination: Bahamas

shedeals’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas price drops

I will say that our room steward and our wait staff were excellent, but they were the only positive parts of this cruise.
  Grandeur of the Seas Deck Plans