3. Celebrity Silhouette
As the title indicates, this was a solo cruise. Arrived at the port around 10:15, dropped off my suitcase, parked the car, took the shuttle back to terminal, thru security, checked in, and walked on the ship at 10:45. That is the best way to start a cruise. Everything ran like clockwork. This was my third cruise on Silhouette, therefore, I am very familiar with the ship. To kill time until lunch, I went to Michael’s Club and had a beverage. Lunch was available to suite passengers in Luminae, the dedicated suite class restaurant. Cabins were available around 1:00. I was delighted to see that my suitcase beat me to the cabin. Muster drill was at 3:15. The cute cartoon about washing your hands is funny and effective. The spy video on ship safety is not. If you didn’t know about ship safety, you won’t know any more at the end of this ridiculous video. The silly story line doesn’t help and is very distracting. The muster drill needs to be more serious than light hearted. I have been to all the ports, except Costa Maya, numerous times. I took the ship sponsored Tequila tasting tour in Cozemel. The guide was knowledgeable. As shore excursions go, I have had better, but I have had far worse. Costa Maya, to me, was a total waste. In Key West and Grand Cayman, I wandered around on my own. Let it be noted that I am in my 60’s and no longer do sun and sand type excursions or beach breaks. I cruise for the ship, not the port activities. Dining- Dinner one night was in the Lawn Club, which was a first time for me. I will definitely go back. Thoroughly enjoyed my steak. I ate most of my meals in Luminae. Luminae meals are always excellent, however, it it is time for some changes to the menu. Breakfast menu is the same every day and after several cruises, I am tired of it. I ate several lunches and one breakfast in the Oceanview buffet. Lots of choices and everything I had was certainly good, but not great. Entertainment-I went to two of the three production shows-Life and Cosmopolitan. I had seen the third show, Pearl, last year and found it to be a waste of good talent. The singers and dancers are very good and the material in that show is just stupid. The two best performances I saw were Tenors of Rock and Uptown. Tenors is a loud (in a good way) high energy performance of songs from groups such as the Beatles and Journey. I would describe Uptown as a Motown tribute group. Three guys who could really sing and sell a song. Don’t miss Tenors and Uptown if you have a chance to see them. Other activities I did included a fun trivia game with several of the ships officers and senior staff titled “Are You Smarter this a Ship’s Officer.” Lot of fun. I attended two extra fee wine tastings. Both were enjoyable and I found a couple of new wines that I liked. Cruising solo is not anything new to me. This was the first time that I had been solo in a suite. Michael’s Club, the suite lounge, was a great place for me as there was always someone with whom I could talk. The Concierge Niko, the bartender, Cranston, and his assistant, Margaret were all very nice to deal and took great care of me. The staff in Luminae always paid a lot of attention and I never minded dining alone. I spent a lot of time on my balcony as I like the peace and quiet. The wine tastings produced a new friend. In general, the ship is immaculately clean and you will always find crew cleaning glass and shining railings. Everyone from the maintenance guys you might see in the hall, to the officers are pleasant, friendly, and want you to enjoy your cruise. Disembarkation was a breeze and I was in my car headed home before 9 AM.

Solo cruise

Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by Straughn

Disembarkation was a breeze and I was in my car headed home before 9 AM.
Straughn’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Silhouette price drops

Sky Suite
Cabin S2 2157
2157 is an aft Sky Suite. Double closets, eight very deep drawers, one side of one of the closets has shelves. The bathroom has a tub/shower combination, one sink and, again, lots of storage. There are several drawers and two upper corner cabinets with shelves above the sink.

The cabin was in excellent condition and was well maintained by my butler and cabin steward. Everyday, when I returned from breakfast, my room was already made up.

This cabin is located just below the Oceanview outdoor seating area and on the deck above that, is the Sunset Bar. Many people are concerned about the noise issue with those two venues directly above the cabin. I am a reasonably sound sleeper and was not awakened by anything happening above me early in the morning as others have reported they were. I did hear chairs being moved and the occasional cart rolling throughout the day, especially around prime meal times. Yes, you could hear background conversation when on the balcony, but I was not bothered by it. What did bother me was the shaking and rattling when the engines were in reverse and/or the thrusters were being used to move the ship. It was loud and it felt like a train was running thru the cabin. That did wake me two mornings when the ship was docking in port.
Resort Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins