3. Carnival Ecstasy
I have been on several cruises so far, and with different cruise lines, so I know a bit about what to expect and I know what to accept. Yes, there is actually a difference. Example - I accepted the fact that the experience of princess cays was ruined by the rain. It is no fault of Carnival or the people or anything ...but the weather. I expected princess cays to be a wonderful island with friendly people, white sands, and crystal waters. Princess Cays was in fact everything I expected - It was an amazing island, a diamond in the sea. Nassau - ...needs to sink into the ocean stay there until clean, then it can come back up. I have been to some islands where we have passed cars burning on the side of the road, and the mud went up to your knees, but never ...have I ever seen a dump such as Nassau. They did not even TRY to HIDE the trash. From litter in the water to glass bottles whole...and broken covering the sandy beaches .. It was as if the someone had forgotten how to use a dumpster and ...everyone just dropped whatever trash they were holding, where ever they stood. The kicker .... there were corpses of dead rats on the side of the sidewalks ...and the sidewalks themselves? There were so many spots that you had to walk around...through the crap to get around a hole, and a massive upheaval of concrete were a flat surface should have been. I will never ever go to Nassau and i will forever, warn people of the state of the island. The people of Nassau ...need to be ashamed. Again ...I accept that a popular island hub, has its own issues, compounded with the problems that tourists bring, but SERIOUSLY. It is UNACCEPTABLE to have to carry your child through a path of shattered glass, stinking rats, trash (of all sorts) so she wont cut her foot and contract some disease.....on a MAIN BEACH. Now, (back to the ship) the room was amazing. It was exactly was I expected. Extremely roomy, very comfortable and clean. I highly recommend getting a grand suit with a balcony if you ever sail. The balcony was your little private "get away" from all the other people on the ship. At night you could relax with your spouse and watch the shooting starts while listening to the crashing of the waves. Turn off the balcony lights and it was perfect and private little romantic spot. The staff, they were amazing as well. There was always a smiling face to greet you, or to help you, even if it was to answer the same question the 10th time...in a row. I cannot say enough good for the staff. I will also share a short story I never experienced on any other cruise line. It was breakfast, my family and I were in line waiting for food, when I dropped out of the line to hunt down a table. I managed to find one...far across the room. Out of fear of losing this table I sat up and tried to catch the ye of my family so they would know where I was. It was then when a staff member approached me and asked me if she could get me anything. At first I took this as her way of telling me to free up the table, seeing that i did not even have a drink or any food - I was just trying to hold this table. She then sincerely told me that she would go, and get me something to drink, asking me how i would like my coffee. I was shocked by this, but what happened next ...gives the whole staff a 5 - out of 5 far rating. I told her that i was just trying to hold the table for my family - she then departed for a very brief moment, came back with a try and plopped it down on the table saying that she would hold this table for me, and my family so i could join them in line. I went and joined my family, we got our food, and went to the table and sure enough, the tray was there, with a set up utensils and napkins, with this staff member staying close by with a gigantic smile ...holding this table for my family and I. The food - the food was nothing special - nothing great - yet nothing horrifying, It was food that anyone could get at most restaurants and buffets. Do not take this cruise for the food, it is not this "amazing experience" as claimed. The "Guys Burger Joint" ...it was a small buffet with just burgers. That's it ... there was nothing "amazing" ..it was just a burger on a plastic plate that you could get toppings on...from another "buffet style" condiment line. Also keep in mind that everything NOT eaten on one day, becomes a "fritter" or "stir fry" for the next day. "24 hour ice cream" is just soft serve machines. "24 hour pizza" is just "cruise ship style pizza" (a few scattered toppings on a crust that is so thin that it actually looks like a potato chip). The dinners were about the same only you got waited on...and this is where the "Accept and Expect" comes into play. I expect dinners on a cruise to be extravagant. I accept that buffets are made up of common food that you can make yourself, or find at a local store/restaurant. This is were the DINNERS became UNacceptable, and therefore affected the entire nightly dinning experience because it was ...all the same. Dinners, no matter where you went were barely mediocre. Keep in mind that the staff was ALWAYS smiling, no mater if they were serving you minestrone soup, or fries....I loved the staff. Now for the ship ... this is were it completely and utterly fails. I will start with the rust. If metal made up the structure in any part of the ship, there was rust, and that corroding cracked off hunk of "missing metal" that comes with rust. Screws and bolts rusted to the point where small piles of rust dust formed under them as the ship moved and vibrated. Rust so bad in places that you always saw crew members painting over some spots and others ...you didn't dare touch just because it might crumble under your grip OR you would be left with a cut up hand. Sealant, silicone sealant and rubber gaskets were always missing or left laying on the deck and flapping in the breeze. Metal grating was cracked and bent outwards just waiting to catch your foot... Then ....the smell. Sewerage..from the first hours on-board until we left the ship on the last day. The smell was the worst. It seemed to get bad at deck 6 then got worse as you descended, and it was ALWAYS wafting upwards in the updraft all the way to deck 11. While it was not as widespread in the upper decks, you would walk through patches and clouds of this sickening sewerage smell. I actually asked someone what it was, and they told me that (And I quote) "It is the detergent they use". I literally had to walk away out of sheer astonishment that this person actually said that. I know what detergent is, and I know what sewerage is and, I've been on-board a few ships, and I have smelled sewerage on ALL of them, it is EXPECTED, but in very small doses and for very short periods of time. This was completely UNACCEPTABLE. Entertainment - I accepted the fact that it was very loud. You are on a cruise ship, a party ship, it is going to be loud in many places. Here is where the "Accept and expect" comes into play. I do EXPECT that the shows are different!. I heard the same songs played MANY times over through out the ....day! I can expect hearing the same songs ...over a few days, but wow.... If you went to see a show, PRAY that it was a different performer, or you were literally going to see the exact same routine (of any sort) that you saw earlier in the day/week. Now ...if it was NOT the same performer ...pray that they did not suck, because you would see, hear them again, and again and again .....and again throughout the ship throughout the day, throughout the ...weeeeeeek. The entertainment was literally ground-hog day (the movie with Bill Murray) ...all over the ship. Now for the TLDR; Stay off the Carnival Ecstasy. It is rusty, old, falling apart, and smells like sewerage ALL THE TIME. Stay off of Nassau - the natives do not care about anything but your money. The place (sidewalks, streets, water, and sand) is littered with trash that CAN be hazardous to your health. Find a way (if you have to swim to get to it) to see Princess Cays - it is a diamond. If you do take Carnival Ecstasy, worship the staff ...because they practically worship you. They are amazing. And that is my review.

Horrible experience