3. Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
My wife and I have just returned from the first two and a half legs of a QM2 world cruise. We were both in excellent health when we boarded this vessel but are now both suffering from coughs which we caught on QM2. I started coughing on 6th day of a 39 day cruise and although I paid to see the ships doctor the best he could do was offer a cough medicine, In Cape Town we did manage to get antibiotics which appeared to be working , the cough nearly cleared up but after a few further days came back with a vengeance, My wife's cough started about 4 weeks into the cruise and she had to visit a doctor in Melbourne as we were worried about the long flight home. About 1800 passengers left the cruise in Cape Town, about 25% of these were coughing. Coughing on the ship quietened down for a few days and then returned. Speaking to several long term Cunard cruisers it appears they either bring antibiotics and steroids from home or alternatively buy these in Tenerife which was our second stop. The onboard shops carried a few brand medicines and “strepsils” were being sold sometimes on the tables outside the shops they were so popular Although the cough is blamed by the captain on passengers getting on in Northern Region I feel there is a bug endemic to the ship probably spread through the air conditioning system. Be as it may when a cruise of this type is booked we should be warned of the possibility of getting a cough as this is something the cruise lines themselves will never take responsibility Turning to the Cruise itself we did not realise the wind and gales that would occur which for a lot of the time people were unable to sit on the side of the ship or at the top. This meant that the only place to sit out was at the rear at which there was no shade. With regards to facilities on the ship we dined in The Britannia dining room, the food was good and the service was first class. Our cabin 4133 was again very good and the cabin steward could not have been more helpful. Reception staff, contrary to what I have read in some reviews were always courteous and extremely helpful. I also liked the way they handled our passports, Once we had cleared South African customs the passports were taken from us and returned a couple of days before we reached Freemantle when we had face to face with Australian customs officials onboard. This made our visit to Australia so much easier. Entertainment Shows were good and some of the speakers, both celebrity and enrichment were first class. My view of this cruise is obviously tainted by the continuous coughing affecting the ship, My wife and I have done in excess of 25 cruises and hopefully this will not be our last but we will be very careful in choosing length of cruise, time of year and cruise company. This cruise was to get away in January and February but from now on we will stick to Canaries

Some Cruises should carry “Government Health Warnings”

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Frilsons