3. Marella Dream
We sailed on the Marella Dream in January 2017 and absolutely loved it. We loved the restaurants, the food was of a high standard everywhere we chose to eat on board. We were also all inclusive which meant we didn't have to pay for any drinks and we liked the location of our cabin which was on deck 7 right at the very back of the ship. 7203. We enjoyed our cruise so much on board the Dream that we booked to sail on her again January 18. She is currently cruising around the Canaries so we were happy at not having to fly so far this time. We got married on the 30th December so this cruise was meant to be extra special as it was our Honeymoon. Unlike previous cruises we have been on, including last years, for some reason you have to collect your own luggage at the airport terminal. Usually once you have checked your baggage in at the U.K. airport you do not see it again until you are on board the ship. This is part of the service you normally expect when going on a cruise. Not a big deal but it did make us wonder why? Within hours of embarking we realised that something was wrong. We went to have something to eat in the Lido buffet restaurant which is normally self service . I picked my plate up ready and was scolded! The girl passed me a plate wearing gloves. I noticed all the serving spoons, tongs etc were facing the wrong way and quickly realised we were not allowed to serve ourselves. It soon became clear why. There was Norovirus on board the ship and had been for several weeks.The ship was demonstrating heightened hygiene practice. The captain was constantly making tannoy announcements telling us to sanitize sanitize sanitize which of course we did, not wanting to catch anything. All swimming pools saunas and jacuzzis were also out of action. There was netting covering them up. Families with children must have devastated because of this ! It was bad enough for the adults not to be able to have a swim ! This is all a big part of any holiday ! An hour later I saw a poor woman projectile vomit and then collapse in the Medusa lounge. We had not even set sail ! An army of staff were radioed to come to the scene!!. There was about 8 men in boiler suits wearing masks and gloves carrying back packs with either hoovers or some sort of sanitizer spray in them and the whole area was cordoned of by a wall of chairs. This went on for about an hour as the lady was helped by her husband and crew. Later on I ordered a vodka lime soda at the bar and asked for a slice of lime or lemon to be told no fruit was allowed in drinks because the ship was on strict sanitation. Oh well. no great shakes.But we were supposed to be on a cruise where you enjoy the best of everything. The captain made an announcement that bad weather conditions were going to make it a rough sailing that night and he had decided to omit tomorrow's port of call, La Palma and we would have an extra sea day instead! We and fellow passengers were not too happy about this but again oh well, he must have his reasons? After a long days travelling we went to bed about half 11 still feeling great to be on board the Dream and excited about our 2 week cruise. Just nodding off around midnight and it started. Loud booming music, like it was actually in our cabin. We both use ear plugs anyway, but they did not block out this music !! It turns out that we were directly below the late night bar where they party until the small hours of the morning! To add insult to injury my husband had paid £90 for an upgrade to this cabin which he had to arrange verbally over the phone!! He had asked for the same cabin as last year but was told that was already sold but would he like one 3 doors up. He said that's great it was nice and quiet and near the door to the rear of the ship again. At no point did they warn him that this cabin was underneath the late night bar ! They just took the payment! The next day I asked at reception to be moved as I could not stand that noise for a fortnight and they told me there was nowhere to move to only further along on the same deck underneath the Medusa lounge which was also having a late night party till the early hours. We said that would be pointless !! She said they would have a word with the entertainments team and tell them to keep the music down to a more acceptable level. It was bearable for a few nights, we stayed out longer and drank more to help us sleep but a few nights later it happened again and continued for the rest of the fortnight. BEWARE BOOKING A CABIN ON DECK 7 towards the rear of the ship you will get no sleep !! As if that wasn't bad enough with the noise, there was maintenance work going on every where on the ship ! We would find a quiet place to sunbathe and have a read and you could guarantee that a man in overalls would start with drilling, banging, angle grinding, sanding, varnishing.. you name it they were doing it ! It was actually unbelievable!! This holiday was turning in to the holiday from hell ! Still determined to enjoy ourselves we remained upbeat and drank even more to block our misery out !! When the ship actually docked and we could get off for a bit our disappointment just got worse. In many ports all you could see was shipping containers no nice views to enjoy, except one day in Madeira but the following week it moored in a different berth. Agina in a industrial part full of giant containers. We had to walk literally miles just to get into a tourist area. This happened time and time again. Once we had to buy tickets costing £6 to get on the TUI shuttle bus to get us out of the port and into a nice area !! It really really was getting more disappointing as the cruise went on ! The food in the Orion restaurant had gone down the pan since last year. It was just about warm enough most of the time but sometimes we just asked them to microwave it, I cant stand wasting food. They laughed and said you can have it hot Madam but frazzled !! We watched why the food was not hot. Your entire meal came at the same time. Whilst we were eating our starters the main course and dessert were left on the side. This is `100 % fact, in fact all of what I am saying is. By week two I was in tears and wanted to go home. The noise, the late night bar music, the ports of call which we knew were the same as the first week, the same old same old entertainment night after night. We thought about getting off in Lanzarote and booking in a nice hotel but worked out how much more money on top of the cruise that would have cost so decided to stick it out. I think the people on reception felt sorry for me as I was regularly in tears . In the end they refunded us our £90 upgrade fee and gave us a £50 apology. It did cheer us up a bit but in no way did we consider it compensation. We had paid nearly £3000 for this cruise and it was our Honeymoon !! When we eventually got home thank goodness, I filled in a complaints form and spoke to several TUI customer service members. They all really sympathised with me but an email came back yesterday telling us that they were sorry that our cruise did not live up to our expectations but we had been given £50 compensation on board and they hoped we would be cruising with TUI again soon! It is not that our expectations were too high, after all we had been on this ship before, it was that TUI failed to deliver the wonderful cruise that they promise you in their advertising campaigns ! That ship should never have set sail knowing there was a massive health hazard on board. So many peoples holidays were ruined by getting ill and being confined to their cabin for days. We heard many people complaining. One day they closed ALL RESTAURANTS for deep cleaning ! The only place you could get food was the Lido grill which we would never ever choose to eat from. People were just getting on and having to stand in a long line for absolutely 3rd rate food which kept on running out! This was our last day and boy were we glad that we were going home. The new passengers were going mad !! I felt sorry for them ! Trust me, my husband and I have got a fantastic sense of humour and we did manage to have a laugh in spite of feeling so miserable and disappointed on our honeymoon. I am now laughing thinking that TUI really think we are going to book another cruise with them! Even the Captain got off half way through !! Maybe he went down with the virus or just bailed with embarrassment !!!

Ruined Honeymoon

Marella Dream Cruise Review by Tracy268

Tracy268’s Full Rating Summary
Get Marella Dream price drops

No problem with the actual cabin other than it was directly underneath the Waters Edge late night bar with disco music playing till after 2am.
  Marella Dream Deck Plans