Noordam 82318 tons 918 cabins Last Drydock 2018 9/28/2017 Room 6090 The Good Our room was in a great location! Only a few rooms aft of the midship elevator. We had two panoramic midship elevators on either side, and also some central midship elevators. We had the pilot boat arrive right under us. We also got to see the Sydney Opera House from our balcony as we arrived into Sydney. On the other hand, we had a crane sitting right outside our window in one of the Fiji stops. Signature Suites come with some nice square footage (280 square feet of room and 100 square feet of balcony). If we’re going to be on a long cruise, we want some elbow room! They’re wide enough that one of us didn’t have to back up if we met at the foot of the bed on the way to the bathroom. For those with mobility problems, this is key. We had a tub/shower with a separate shower and two sinks. The bathroom was also wide enough that one could move past someone standing at the close sink to the other sink. We had a European and American outlet at the desk, and also the vanity. Since we have an international adapter sets for Kindle and iPad, we were able to utilize all the plugs. Great cabin steward! On embarkation day, we give them a written list of preferences to break the ice with them. We about two weeks in, we put him in our top five of a lot of cruises, and later in the cruise we moved him to the top three. We never returned to a dirty room in 38-days. We did leave the “Make Up Room” lock holder when we left for Breakfast and Dinner. Dining - MDR. Another excellent experience. We give the waiter, assistant waiter and boss with a list of preferences to make it easier for them. We had the same team for the entire 38-day voyage. We ate in the MDR. I don’t think we missed an evening. Our assistant waiter served us coffee with HEATED cups! Our waiter managed my allergy seamlessly. He would bring the next day’s menu with the dessert and say “take your time.” Lectures - The lectures San Francisco to Sydney were fabulous. The container lecture was the most interesting lecture of the batch for me. Especially when we got to the Pacific Islands, and saw all container ports. We wished they’d been able to continue the lectures after Sydney. Pinnacle Grill - Lunch - Really great service! We had the same waiter the five or six times we visited. I loved the chocolate dessert with caramel popcorn! Ocean Bar - Great Waitress! Again, one of the top waitresses we’ve had! We met each sea day at the Crow’s Nest for Knitting, Crochet, and Stitching. Our group numbered over 20, and we had a great time sharing stories, suggestions for upcoming ports. (One member planned to do all the Lord of the Rings Shore Excursions.) After Sydney, one of the bartenders visited daily for drink orders. All cargo ports in the Pacific Islands and New Zealand, so no Wifi. All Kiwi (New Zealand citizens) needed a permit to enter their ports. Security entered the bus and checked all ship cards and identification cards. Before we could leave the ship, they played a recording of forbidden items in New Zealand: no food, honey, wood, of any kind, etc. Only commercial bottled water. Once or twice the cruise director told us only unopened bottled water. In Napier they had a band playing in port when we returned from our EXC tour. Bus drivers must take a driving test every year, and we were happy to learn that they must exit the bus and stand next to the door to help tourists if needed. EXC Tours - Each Guide was very knowledgeable and made our tours memorable. . Clean Windows on the Buses. Nice grab bars to help climb those really tall steps to onto the bus. Good lectures by the guides. Great buses with nice long seatbelts in Sydney and Melbourne. Mentioned the super high bus steps (Tasmania’s bus step came up to a couple inches below my knee), to the EXC staff must have mentioned this to the tour groups, because the bus drivers started providing step stools. Also, noticed the bus drivers started driving the buses right up to the gangplank in New Zealand. Fabulous guide in Hobart Wildlife and Waterways. This lady is finishing her PhD in Tanmania History. Best tour guide of the trip! Napier - Sheep Sheering & Scones Mountain Ride! Great guide and great bus. This bus had comfortable seats, a screen at the front showing a live view of the road ahead. With strict food rules in New Zealand, it’s a good idea to book an excursion with a snack or meal included. This guide trained the others to drive up the mountain road. “Ice Cream Sample” was much larger than expected, I think those 4 ounce single servings at our grocery store were smaller! It would have been much better to stagger the two busloads. At the sheep sheering and afternoon tea, since both were at the same location, have one bus doing the tea while the other did the inside part of the sheep sheering, then switch. Very crowded store at the sheep shearing stop. Wellington - Guide’s coffee recommendation was SO true. Very strong coffee but not bitter. We’re so glad he suggested it, but it’s taking a long time to get used to American Coffee. Wellington has some very interesting rules for bus drivers. He pulled down a narrow street, and the cars had to make room for him by either backing up or going over curbs. The Needs Improvement One of the elevators was down for four straight days. Cruise Director did not schedule our Knitting, Crochet and Stitching group in the daily program, but it may not have been his fault. We heard this decision came from corporate. He seemed glad we found each other. At the collector’s cruise lecture, he read word for word from the handout. At the end of the presentation, he declined to answer a question about a possible conflict with a EXC tour and muster drill, and walked back stage. EXC Tours I had sent an email to headquarters about my disappointment with the way they organize the shore excursions, but so far no answer. The tours need to be staggered so only one bus load at a time at each stop. Some of the tours were to crowded, I didn’t want to shop the local stores. With a few exceptions, too rushed, not enough time at each stop, too crowded. Each bus seemed to have something wrong: A/C blowing very warm air, middle bus door didn’t open, etc. When we have a 15-minute stop, and it takes five minutes to load and unload the bus, there’s not much time left for viewing the sights. Cancellation policy now 48 hours. EXC employee worked at the desk and in the Vista Lounge with some type of upper respiratory infection. She tried to announce shore excursions on port days while she had no voice. A few days later, we both came down with upper respiratory infections too. Some EXC tours had meeting times at 11 am, but the Lido opened at 11:30 am. Also, no food stalls just off the ship in port. With strict food rules in New Zealand, I wish they’d have at least a snack on all tours offered. Tauranga - Yes, it goes in the “bad” section. We’re not planning on booking any more EXC tours in Tauranga. Our bus had very uncomfortable seats, no head rests, no seatbelts. Front seats foot area was so narrow, a man next to us couldn’t put his foot all the way down. It had a ramp down the center aisle to a step, and I saw several people fall. Also, the bus had backward facing seats. The tour guide sat in an open seat for a few minutes, then stood back up and spent the rest of the four hour tour standing at the front of the bus. We almost quit the tour at the first stop and took a taxi back to the ship. Did you make the sale? Yes, we got a couple more Future Cruise Deposits

Great Tour Overall, but EXC tours Dropped Overall Rating

Last Drydock 2018

9/28/2017

Room 6090

The Good

Ocean Bar - Great Waitress! Again, one of the top waitresses we’ve had!

EXC Tours - Each Guide was very knowledgeable and made our tours memorable. .

The Needs Improvement

One of the elevators was down for four straight days.

EXC Tours

Cancellation policy now 48 hours.

Did you make the sale?

Yes, we got a couple more Future Cruise Deposits
knittinggirl’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Noordam price drops

Signature Superior Verandah Suite
Cabin SS 6090
Upper Verandah Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Taieri Gorge Railway
    Disappointed in the Superior Package. We bought the superior package because we wanted to be picked up and dropped off next to the ship, but I still had to do a bit of walking. Also, since we were fog delayed, they kept threatening to drop us off in Dunedin and have us take the shuttle back. Didn't have enough time at the Train Station. Just 15 minutes, and I hoped they'd spend more time on the return visit. Maybe they thought they were dropping us off at the train station, so they didn't bother. Something about the crew timing out. Finally, they decided to change crew at Dunedin and return us to the ship.

Train was hot, and it was only spring. No opening windows. They seemed to run out of Diet Coke, and didn't tell us. We kept waiting for it, and never got it.

The merchants at Pukerangi waited all day for us, and I'd hoped to buy from them. But the train crew didn't let us off the train, because they were running late and timing out.
    View All 53 Taieri Gorge Railway Reviews
  • Russell Falls
    Best Guide of the Trip!

Working on her PhD in Tasmanian History.

All the mobility challenged people had disappeared except for me and another lady. After what happened in Hilo with guide getting behind while finding a straggler, I didn't want to delay our tour. The other lady made it to the falls, but I didn't. The falls is why we booked this tour!

Two bus loads, but for once, the stops were not too crowded because we all had room to spread out.
    View All 2 Russell Falls Reviews
  • Tasmanian Wine Tasting
    We had a BBQ steak lunch at the Winery. Didn't notice many people buying the wine. They didn't seem to skimp much on the wine.

At the winery, the bathrooms were rather primitive. I one or two holer out back. Can't remember if it flushed.
    View All 7 Tasmanian Wine Tasting Reviews
  • City Tour
    Another tour of 1000 buildings. Loved the idea of 20% city parks in Melbourne. This tour included the tower that is the tallest building in the Southern Hemisphere.
    View All 20 City Tour Reviews
  • Napier
    Tour would have been rated Excellent if they hadn't packed the sheep shearing barn full. I couldn't see the demonstration because my fellow cruise passengers stood up in front of me or held their camera phones/ipads up high and blocked my view. It would have been better if they staggered the bus loads, and had one bus in the morning tea building and the other in the barn for the sheep shearing.

Store in the barn was so crowded, I lost interest.
    View All 13,014 Napier Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Napier Cruise Port Review
  • Noumea
    "Free WiFi" didn't work very well. I bought $15 worth of coffee to get their Wifi password, and she entered it incorrectly. While making my coffee, she delayed my order when the boss insisted she help him fill a larger order. When I asked her to retype the password, the boss yelled at her in French. After I connected, I couldn't get anything downloaded, and the boss explained that we had a lot of people using the Wifi. I looked out on empty tables.

At the bus stop, a rather nice shuttle bus, one local told a passenger that his maps cost $50. Then later, I heard him telling another passenger, he was there to take all her money.
    View All 368 Noumea Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Noumea Cruise Port Review
  • Picton
    We boarded the cruise portion right from the ship. I'd asked shore excursion desk if they had a gangplank, and they said "yes." But they didn't have a gangplank. I had to step up on a bobbing boat. Walking off after the cruise was a rather narrow gangplank, maybe 15" wide.

Then we got on a bus that blew hot air. I don't remember much of the bus ride back because it was so hot on the bus. I hope they got it fixed before the next ship arrived.
    View All 13,014 Picton Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Picton Cruise Port Review
  • City Tour
    Funny tour guide! She said she was from England and spoke two languages: British and Australian. Lots of interesting comments on our tour of 1000 buildings, that gave us more insight into Australia. Like a home with the dining room table still set for Christmas (on October 22). Many less mobile people had trouble with the bus steps.
    View All 20 City Tour Reviews
  • Tauranga
    Tauranga - Yes, I seldom give "Terrible" ratings. We’re not planning on booking any more ship tours in Tauranga. Our bus had very uncomfortable seats, no head rests, no seatbelts. Front seats foot area was so narrow, a man next to us couldn’t put his foot all the way down. It had a ramp down the center aisle to a step, and I saw several people fall. Also, the bus had backward facing seats. The tour guide sat in an open seat for a few minutes, then stood back up and spent the rest of the four hour tour standing at the front of the bus. We almost quit the tour at the first stop and took a taxi back to the ship.

Too bad, I had really been looking forward to the Kiwi tasting. And I did get to taste the Golden Kiwi.
    View All 13,014 Tauranga Cruise Port Reviews