Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review
3,695 Reviews

Great time - with a couple of exceptions

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by pfontes

• Sail Date: Feb 2018
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony

We booked this cruise in 2016. At first I wasn't sure I'd like a ship as big as Oasis, but once we boarded, I quickly got over my hesitation. The ship is awesome - it offers a week of non-stop activities, good food and fun. There were some issues with the entertainment - cancelled shows, rescheduled shows, etc., but the shows that we did attend were great. We were introduced to Quest - what a hoot! Our cabin attendant was terrific and the waitstaff in the dining room was efficient and friendly.

Now for the unpleasant part. We were on the cruise that started on SuperBowl Sunday. There was this great set up for football fans that included big screens and great food and drink. As we watched the game, a weight and age-challenged woman parked herself next to us. (BTW, I'm not exactly on the young side.) She asked which team we were rooting for - turned out that we were not rooting for her team. At which point she pulled out ... (I am not making this up)... a megaphone and proceeded to spend the rest of the game making our lives miserable with her overly loud pronouncements and weird siren noises mostly aimed at us. Her behavior was so unlike the vast majority of cruisers that we have seen and met (this was our 10th cruise). I know that RCCI does have a code of behavior for passengers, but who could we report her to?

Our only other issue was with our lunch at Chops. The service and the food were both poor - very unlike our experience anywhere on Royal Caribbean ships. We did express our concern to the host. He tried to reschedule us for another complimentary lunch, but we couldn't work out the timing. As a result, the cost of our lunch was refunded - something that we really appreciated.

By the end of our cruise, I was ready to turn around and get back on!

pfontes's Full Rating Summary

Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony
Cabin D3 8202

The cabin was small, but did offer plenty of storage. The bed was extremely comfortable. Our cabin attendant was very attentive to our needs and did a great job of keeping our cabin neat and tidy.

The balcony was a good size for lounging. The bathroom was standard size for a cruise ship. There were no complimentary lotions or hair conditioners - only a couple of bars of soap in the bathroom. (I don't know if this is ship's policy - or an oversight.) The hair dryer was actually pretty useful.

Tubing

We were brought to the starting point, provided safety vests and helmets. Attendants guarded our personal belongings and moved them to the end point of our excursion. The tubes were big and sturdy and equipped with handles or ropes for us to hold onto so we could keep together. Our guide swam along with us (almost 3 miles!) to insure that we didn't bump into a riverbank or tree. All in all, it was great fun and I'd love to do it again!

Ziplining

The zipline staff does not take safety for granted. First, you are outfitted with the proper gear (vests, helmets, lines, etc.) then you get to try out a short zipline to insure you know what to expect. After all that, you are then transported to the top of the 500' hill, secured, checked over and then you ride. It was a bit scary, but a lot of fun!

View All 233 Ziplining Reviews
Cozumel

A group of us who have all been to Cozumel before, chose to go to KaoKao Chocolate Factory where we leaned how to make chocolate. Eduardo was our guide and he did a great job of explaining the process. We then put on aprons and hats and went to work grinding, mixing and shaping chocolate patties to use for cocoa. It was a fun tour - well worth the money. Be aware - you need to take a taxi to the factory. Our driver offered to stay and wait for us for a pre-determined (and reasonable) fee.

pfontes