3. Carnival Paradise
This was a Valentine birthday cruise for myself and my husband. It was a 5 day to Grand Cayman and Cozumel and thankfully, we are happy to have a good time together regardless and we settled for a quiet cruise with nothing to do. The service was so immensely lacking. From beginning to end this trip was a disappointment and we are repeat Gold level cruisers who have always been happy with Carnival! It started when we arrived for our 2:30 check-in appointment time to be told there were no porters anymore and we have to carry on our own luggage. We are MDR late diners and I was shocked that the food was barely even at the level of a local Chili's as far as taste, and presentation was non-existent. The desserts were tasteless, although the melting cake was decent. The shrimp cocktail was a sad embarrassment of frozen salad shrimp, thrown in a pile on a piece of lettuce. My birthday was on Valentine's Day and we openly discussed it for two days at dinner. Even that night, my husband made sure to "sneak off" to tell them to bring something chocolate for my birthday. They arrived with a strawberry mousse heart and sang Happy Anniversary to us. Out of the array of other miscellaneous mishaps including the pizza guy sending us to the salad bar to make our own caesar salad, the final send-off was the last day when we found out they lost our 3 bottles of liquor we purchased in port. This felt like a super budget vacation, which it certainly was not. We chose not to book our family cruise for next year while on board, which was the plan. What made it worse was my aunt coming back while we were gone from a completely different Carnival cruise the week before and had a similar, in some ways worse, experience. I see that a lot has changed with Carnival since our cruise last year. I am pretty crushed. I will say that I didn't find the ship itself so sorely lacking in upkeep as I had read in many reviews. The entertainment was no where to be found, unless it was for Bingo. There was zero fun on this 'fun ship", which is crazy for what you'd think was a perfect opportunity to wow couples on a romantic Valentine getaway. Dancing even?? Nope. Nightclub had crickets. There was absolutely no thought or effort put into this being a Valentine cruise. The couple of games we played during the day were not even entertaining - just senseless guessing games. I mean, honestly - I love the corny trivia games but these were bad. We were in an Upper Deck Oceanview room which was nice, clean, quiet, and well maintained. The beds would not stay together which was another annoyance every night. Both ports were beautiful and even the tender to and from Grand Cayman went smoothly. I am still overwhelmed by how disappointed I am in the level of service Carnival had to offer. We are ready to go RCL next time.

Huge disappointment!!