3. Oasis of the Seas
Oh, Royal Caribbean. We hardly knew thee… I’m writing this on the flight home, so the last week aboard Oasis of the Seas is still fresh in my mind. I don’t want to forget anything. First, the good. The ship is easy to understand once the “neighborhood” concept sinks in. And, the neighborhood thing was cool. We loved Central Park especially – on calm days it really did seem to be a city park, complete with storefront restaurants, a little bar and plenty of seats among the lush, and live, vegetation. Boardwalk was also a great place to grab a hot dog, a cup of ice cream, a drink or a ride on the merry-go-round. We saw a couple of movies under the stars, watched the water show (excellent) and had one of the wait staff try to explain the cricket game…match…on TV while we were dipping chips into amazing guacamole at Sabor. We spent a couple of wonderful afternoons in the elegant English Pub, which has an interesting selection of beers. The second one, our server Micki was an absolute delight, talking to us about the differences between her native China, Japan and Korea. She could have not been more engaging or friendly. The cabin attendant seemed to be at our cabin every time we returned – tidying up, laying out the next day’s Compass, creating another adorable towel animal. He was invariably good humored, greeted us by name every time and responded to every request we had. The room was always spotless. We had a fantastic meal at 150 Central Park – me fork tender short ribs and her a delicious red snapper. Her martini was created table side, a very elegant touch. The sushi and rolls at Izumi were fantastic, the server a delight. Our sail away meal at the American Icon Main Dining Room was awesome, the table 313 crew friendly and efficient. We would gladly have eaten in their section every night. Alas... Back in the day – a few short years ago, in fact – we made all of our “My Time” reservations on line. This was our third RCI cruise. However, after booking our cruise in January 2017 I could find no way to accomplish this simple task. No problem, we’ll do it live. Except the staff taking reservations on the phone were abrupt, condescending and unhelpful. Not only could we not reserve our table for the rest of the cruise, we couldn’t get a reservation for anything other than that evening. At eight. Invariably at eight. Three nights in a row, even though we called at 0906, six minutes after reservations opened. “We have a show at eight-thirty.” “Eight.” We were invited to stand in line and wait. It may have been an example of biting off our noses… But, we never returned to the MDR. For goodness sake we ate dinner in the Windjammer two nights, where the passengers behaved like sharks in a feeding frenzy but the wait staff were exceptionally friendly. And the little chocolate cupcakes – I would follow that pastry chef anywhere. I’m still trying to figure out what three cruises, nineteen RCI points, bought us. We waited in the two-hour line to board and encountered an RCI special – awful people at the security checkpoint. Curt, snappish and one even took my gear from one bin and transferred it unnecessarily to another, which resulted in stuff going everywhere. “You need to have your passports open!” barked the officious little man, apropos to no notice anywhere. No member coupons in the cabin or welcome note, no “Great job” cards to give deserving crew. Nada. And… I’m sure it’s a licensing thing, but NO WINTER OLYMPICS?! We saw three shows, all of which were well done and energetically performed. Okay, I’ve never been a Cats fan…but the young lady who sang “Memory” could really bring it, and the other cast members truly gave it up. Come Fly With Me was worth every second of our time – those kids can sing! The ice show we would have been happy to pay serious money to see. Everyone, that is, the entire ensemble, could skate lights out. The diving show was postponed several times because of high winds and an unsettled sea. Unsettled… That great big boat was all over the place. We caught their warm-ups, and SRO’d a show. It was breathtaking. Our cabin lacked some of the amenities with which we’d grown accustomed – real wine glasses, an ice bucket and bathrobes. The wet bar menu was missing (and the small refrigerator empty), which a request would probably have rectified, but why should we have to ask? Room service carries a fee and automatic gratuity. I mean…eight and a half bucks to deliver a grilled cheese sandwich? And… Cruise Critic asks us not to use profanity, so I’ll just leave this here. The person who was constantly smoking on their balcony, you’re a jerk. One final cruel stroke – the “TSA Pre” boarding passes RCI printed out on the boat that were part of the valet service? Yeah…no. We loved that line, too, friends. Maybe it’s about efficiently serving sixty-seven hundred guests. I don’t know. My exceedingly wise PhD spouse said it best. “I felt like a customer, not a guest.” Next cruise, we’ll see what the competition has to offer.

Got Our Money's Worth

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by PWDfolks

Oh, Royal Caribbean. We hardly knew thee…

Next cruise, we’ll see what the competition has to offer.
PWDfolks’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas price drops

Comfortable. Missing some of the perks we've come to expect - wine glasses, ice, bathrobes. Balcony door hard to open, knuckle banger sometimes upon closing. TV with very limited channels, although we did pick up a bit of an interest in cricket.
  Oasis of the Seas Deck Plans