Island Princess Cruise Review
1,190 Reviews

The best and the not so good!!

Island Princess Cruise Review by auntella

• Sail Date: Dec 2017
  • Destination: the Panama Canal & Central America
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Oceanview

Captain Michele Tuvo is the best, the very best!!! He was every where, in the dining rooms, buffet, hallways, atrium, talking to passengers and employees, checking on everyone.....Everywhere.

The host of the Anytime Dining was also just the best, he knew us by the 2nd or 3rd day. He was just the best. I didn't get his name, but he was from Romania.

The most adorable manager of the jewelry store was so much fun to watch on her raffles.

The casino was nice to us, usually, but not always. To some it seemed to be very very nice.

This cruise had the best evening shows we have ever seen, and we have been on quite a few....

This was a much smaller ship than we are used to, hence the daytime activities were not so good. I don't swim at all, so i sat in the coffee bar a lot. Some days it had good movies but since sci-fi and blood and guts are not my thing, my husband went and I watched the dance lessons. But the night shows made up for it.... The in-room tv was really good with up to day news etc.. and some very good movies.

The ship is older and the Atrium is raised so couldn't see the games, but there were very few games for those who cannot stand for a long period and even for those more agile not so great.. I missed the horse races and marriage games of other shows, this one had the marriage game one day,... not happy about that... What few games they had were not so good.

A night or so before we disembarked they decided to not do a theater show and have a big party out by the pool, the party was nice but windy and loud, we would have preferred the show in the theater and so many were disappointed.

The biggest problem was kids, while there were very few, they were uncontrolled and running up and down the theater aisles during the shows.

I was so happy when I saw the buffet was not as overwhelmed with Asian food as before, but the selection was not very good and lots of left overs in the buffet, so I ate in the dining room mostly. But even in the dining room the food was not very good and ground beef had bone pieces in it. My husband only eats beef and they had taken the New York steak off the every day menu so he was not pleased about that. We did have 3 delicous meals out of 19 days.....

We did have a nice dinner in the Steakhouse, but it was a waste as we eat very little so we had only 1/4 each of the filet, it was good but I would have preferred one meal, paid half and did it twice, but they don't permit that, so won't eat there again as not going to pay $60 to waste it.

The Employees were just wonderful mostly..... Zelda in the dining rooms and Vanessa in the coffee bar, and one guy in the coffee bar was just great. I believe his name was Daryl... Sometimes the older Filipino waiters can be very brusk and not so pleasant but they will serve you well most of the time.

Our cabin was nice,a great balcony, the shower small but usable, This was a ship of seniors mostly and it was good for that but daytime needs some work. Hopefully the new Entertainment person will put a spark in the day time.

Sadly we had a loss, I had 2 pairs of earrings apparently taken from the safe and a personal check, we did cancel the check and they have not given us any information on the earrings. I hope they find them, but it has been over a month and no word.

As with most of Princess cruises the piano/crooners bar is just wonderful. With this Captain I would go again tomorrow, he is great.

Disembarkation was different, the batteries on my personal scooter died on the way to put it on the car lift, so didn't have a scooter, so we were waiting in the crooners lounge to be escorted off, well it was not done and they made an announcement that the ship was cleared of all passengers........HELLO!!!! there were a number of us needing to get off, we wouldn't of minded staying on if they could have put us in a nice room for free but doubt they would have done that.......Thank god someone walking through saw us and had us all taken care of but it was a worry for a bit.

auntella's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Oceanview
Cabin O5 E229

It was spacious, clean and comfortable and quiet. We have always used Hilton for our cruises, however this time we used Princess in Santa Clarita and it was not so good, we didn't get the cabin we had been told we would have, the anniversary package was not there as it was to be, so luckily my husband had the receipt in his phone, So they did honor it.... But we will go back to Hilton for reservations. Our bed was the most comfortable ever, i fell asleep even just sitting on it, perfect.

Guatemala and Costa Rica had amazing port shopping, I want to go again.

Remember it is on the Equator so it is hot but our air conditioning was fantastic, not too hot and not too cold.

Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera)

IF this is Costa Rica it was beautiful hot and great port shopping.

Puerto Quetzal (Antigua)

I think this is Guatamala, it would be nice if u would use those names..... This was the BEST PORT SHOPPING

Huatulco

I think this was Mexico, nice and nice shopping.

Manzanillo

this was a beautiful area., it was very hot and port shopping not so great. But we enjoyed the view and enjoyed out ship time.

auntella