• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

iliveinhope14
10+ Cruises • Age 40s

Sail Date: Jan 2018
Cabin:

I have Platinum status with Princess Cruise so I am not new to cruising or cruising with Princess. I was in China earlier this year. I noticed Majestic Princess was docking at the port. As a last minute decision, my wife and I booked a 4 night trip from China to Japan on Majestic Princess. I found out the hard way. Princess in Asia market is actually a different company and unfortunately management in Asia market is very poor.

Booking - In Asian/Chinese market, you cannot book your travel with Princess or your US agent. Chinese agencies prepaid for a block of rooms and manage the block on the ship. Not a big deal but it is very different from normal Princess ships because the ship/hotel management does not directly interface with you while you are on the ship. You have to interface with your travel agency's representative on the ship.

Embarkation - The embarkation process was a mess. Princess cruise does not manage the process. The process is delegated to each travel agencies and port employees. while we were in the gangway. The travel agent demanded for our passport. I asked why they told me it is a Chinese government policy. We did not feel comfortable to give them our US passports while we are in a foreign country. I refused to gave them my passport. The travel agent threatened that I will not be able to board the ship. While since this is not my first time boarding a Princess ship. We basically ignore the travel agent and walked on-board like a pro. Ship crew did not say a word. But keep in your mind, rest of my group went through the trip without their passports.

46 Helpful Votes