3. Grandeur of the Seas
This was our 22nd cruise across all lines, and we chose this cruise because we live close to Baltimore and February seemed like a good time to head south. This was our third time on this ship (last in 2007) and we were pleasantly surprised how easy embarkation was. As usual on most cruises, the buffet area was jammed and noisy. They offered carved roast beef, which was impossible to cut -- not a good culinary start. Don't bother with the burgers, they are dry and old and sit out in the buffet area. I missed the grill venue which is located near the pool on other ships and which serves excellent burgers and fries. Our Junior Suite was great and, at last, RCL is putting comfortable furniture both in the private and public areas -- this was great. The HVAC system was quiet and very responsive as we needed both heat and a/c on this voyage. While there was plenty of storage, there were only TWO plugs for charging stuff and using the hair dryer. Not enough for modern travelers. RCL has devoted half of the Viking Crown Lounge (VCL) for use by its Concierge Club members, even though they have a separate room on the same deck. Most times, there were only 5-10 people in there in a space that could hold 50 or so. It was roped off, so the rest of us ordinary folk would not trespass. Drink prices were inconsistent, i.e, Kim Crawford wine was $16/glass in one place and $11 and $12 in other venues. Since we took the drink package, we had to be aware of the price cap. Castle Rock Cab was available by the glass in the lounges (when they didn't run out), but only by the bottle (which was not included in our package) in the main dining room. We found the inconsistencies in pricing and availability annoying, Food in the MDR was average to wonderful. I especially like the lamb shank served on the last night, one of the best meals we had including the one we had at the specialty restaurant, Chops Grille. I ordered the bone-in rib eye which is one of my favorite steaks and my husband ordered the filet. I could not even cut mine with the steak knife! I complained to the waiter and he said, "sometimes it can be tough". I asked why he didn't tell me this when ordering and also told him I buy this cut frequently at my local super market and it has never been tough. He didn't have an answer and I have to wonder if they don't at least use the "choice" grade for this cut. The filet was fine however. We had dinner at the Chef's Table only because they offered a 30% discount prior to getting on the ship. It was ok, but the premium wines they used to serve have morphed into average wines. The experience was fine, but I wouldn't do it again. We chose not to eat at Izumi's because it is in a a loft area above the VCL and all the noise and music from there drifts upward to the restaurant. Beware of the elevators -- they make hardly any noise when arriving and the doors close very fast.

Improved Service but Food Average

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by nebraskacorn

• Sail Date: February 2018
  • Destination: Bahamas

nebraskacorn’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas price drops

Great cabin, quiet and service by Guillerme Oxali was superb. Some JS have a pole running right through them, however and these don't show on the deck plans. We were under the Park City Cafe in the Solarium area and did hear some noises very early in the am as they moved carts and drag chairs back and forth.
  Grandeur of the Seas Deck Plans

• Everglades Tour
    It was a 45 minute bus ride to get on the airboat for a total of 30 minutes. THis was fun, but too short, especially as the next 2 hours were a 30 minute informative talk showing the alligators and one hour for buying extremely overpriced burgers ($10) and other stuff if you wanted to eat. Not the best experience.
    View All 113 Everglades Tour Reviews