3. Norwegian Sun
We were a little uncertain about this ship prior to departure. We had never travelled with Norwegian before and a friend who had done a similar trip to ours with Norwegian last year had been somewhat disappointed. However, the itinerary looked interesting (South America sailing south from Santiago and around to Buenos Aires) and the price was quite good so we gave it a go. As others have pointed out, this is an oldish ship but it has been kept in good condition and was clean and comfortable. Staff were on the whole helpful, and cheerful - with the exception of one individual in customer relations who proved to be abrasive and unhelpful. Food was really good in both the main restaurants and in the buffet bars. Lots of options too for places to eat. We had no need to use the speciality dining. Our room was, as is usual, compact but well equipped and comfortable. Having said that the TV system is very dated and not really up to scratch. The balcony was a fair size. The bathroom on the other hand was tiny; I don't think I have ever experienced such a small shower cubicle. The small size caused me a bit of a problem when on a rough sea day the ship lurched tossing me backwards and, unable to step back because of such limited space, I landed tail end in the shower tray and still have trouble sitting. The other problem we discovered is that the air conditioning system has very limited functionality. On a couple of cold days we found that the system does not deliver warm air. Nor would it seem does the system deliver very cold air when the room became too warm - all it does is push, very noisily, cool air into the room. We discussed this with the air conditioning technician who explained that the system was not up to the standards of more modern ships. The entertainment was very good even though the main shows tended to have performers that did not have a wide reputation. The cruise show group were excellent and did wonders on what seemed a quite small stage. Performers around the stage were good too and we were especially impressed with the young Ugandan Jon Muq. He was superb. I was inclined to give the review 5 stars except for the ridiculously high charge for shore excursions. We have done meany cruises all of which charge premium rates but Norwegian really tops the chart for high prices. Having said that we did two trips and both were very good. As usual the staff were always looking for ways to extract additional income through photographs, dining etc but they were perhaps less assertive in their approaches than on some other cruise lines which was welcomed. We had a great cruise and saw some amazing places and we would use Norwegian again in the future so overall we are very happy with our trip.

Pleasantly suprised