Our 3rd cruise and a late booking wishing for some winter warmth. However the weather wasn't playing ball. Stormy and windy and being a small ship with poor stability it was rocking!(not in a good way) Embarkation was easy and relaxed, however there was over selling of the additional drinks upgrade. We were pitched to 3 times in 30 minutes and stopped additional staff within 1st 12 hours doing the the same. Obvious that being budget and all inclusive the extras are what the boat needs to sell. The room was clean, adequate but dated. The carpet had a few stains and could do with a good shampoo. The bathroom grouting could do with a refresh. Facilities in bedroom and ensuite sufficient. Cabin attendant was polite and very kind when I was ill in the room. Entertainment was reasonable. Choreography in the show numbers was lacking, and the two 'spectaculars' were colourful but not artistically technical. Since we were in the Spanish area it would have been nice to see some traditional flamenco or other local dance instead of watered down versions of Spanish dance. Being English spoken the magician/comedian night was a no no. Needs to be rethought. Bands and entertainment in other areas was good but sound was too loud for conversation in the bar areas, and very thumpy! Excursions was excellently priced, the right amount of time for each one with fabulous tour guides - no complaint there at all! Well done for the gluten free dining - it was good to see - and the baker made an effort to make me bread so I did not have to eat the pap that comes out of packet too regularly. The only complaint I had was, that quite often the food would come out at a different time to my dining companions which would mean I was a course ahead, or behind them and frequently eating (to prevent food going cold) when they were awaiting a course. Breakfast buffet was lovely and varied for such a low price. My husband did not enjoy the main dinners as much as they lacked variety and our table needed to order vegetables separately to go with the mains as it was not provided. Service was varied, some fabulous staff but some who obviously need to up their game, but you need to remember this cruise line is at the lower end of the market and a smaller fish in the sea. I had a 50 minute massage in the spa which I have to say was excellent, but still pricey - same Elemis range I use in my local spa, but about double the price for the time. However a welcome relaxation. Overall my husband said it was like his loveable childhood mongrel dog, who was faithful, always there and served a purpose, however for me, I think I need the pedigree!

Loveable mongrel - value for money - all inclusive but budget

Horizon Cruise Review by GroveBen

GroveBen’s Full Rating Summary
Get Pullmantur Horizon price drops

Basic but does what it says on the tin. Needs a refresh, but is adequate, clean - like a budget chain hotel