3. Silver Muse
This was our first cruise for many years and we went with good friends. It was generally enjoyable but certainly not outstanding. The cabins were comfortable and the staff well trained and invariably pleasant and helpful. There are many restaurants on the Silver Muse. Food is fresh and plentiful but not particularly exciting and at La Dame, where passengers have to pay extra to dine, I could discern no appreciable improvement in the standard of cooking. However, the pizzas were good, but the ice cream disappointing. The pasta ( it's an Italian ship) was quite good but, again, not exceptional. Generally , the desserts ( and I love dessert) were fairly generic - looked beautiful but did not taste as good as they looked. To my delight, but a sad comment on the quality of the food, I did not put on an ounce during this trip. Cocktails were good and wine was plentiful, but not what I would describe as premium. We had a very ordinary red from the special wine list ( charged extra). At sea days were spent in various activities. I was annoyed that the Spanish lessons and Bridge lessons were on at the same time. Lectures from guest lecturers were generally of a good standard, relevant and interesting. The shows mostly began at 10pm which was a bit late for us and those we did go to were not impressive. The shore excursions were marred by guides who generally did not know their subjects in any depth and whose limited English made it difficult for them to make the most of interesting sites. The description of the excursions did not match the reality - for example, on one, we were told we would see how tequila was made and visit a chocolate factory - we were , in fact, taken to sales venues and given a short talk about the production of tequila and chocolate and then encouraged to purchase these items. On other excursions, more detail would have been a welcome aid to decision making about whether to go or not. We hired a car, driver and guide in Lima and this was a terrific excursion. The guide was well informed and helpful and was able to show us most of the sights we had nominated as interesting and found a local restaurant for lunch where we were able to sample typical local dishes - the food was interesting, tasty and inexpensive - and the guide had lunch with us and chatted throughout, giving us a snapshot of life in Lima and the surrounds. I would definitely organize a private tour again in preference to going on organized excursions. The experience was not bad enough for us not to consider travelling with Silversea again, but our expectations will be more in line with reality next time, and we will have learned from experience how to maximise our enjoyment of the holiday.

Fort Lauderdale to Valparaiso