We have been cruising on Seabourn for years and love it. We decided to give Oceania a chance because we liked this itinerary. It was not a good experience. Starting with embarkation which was done at Callao Lima Peru. This port has absolutely no cruise terminal facilities at all. Passengers lined up on the dock without anyone from Oceania to greet us, direct us or answer questions. Some people waited as long as 3 hours in the sun to board, absolutely unacceptable. The next disaster was trying to get off the boat at Easter island. We waited 4 hours in the lounge area to try to go ashore. The cruise director had warned us the day before that if we could not get back on the boat, it was our problem. We did not want to take a chance that the tenders would not be able to return to the ship and, based upon the cruise directors warning- that was a real possibility. My tour deposit was forfeited and I did not see Easter island. The big claim to fame is the cuisine on board Oceania. Perhaps if you are used to dining at lower end chain restaurants, like chevy's and outback steakhouse, the food would be considered a step up. As a food industry professional, I was not impressed at all. The food was mediocre at best and everything tasted as if it was made with very inexpensive ingredients. The only dining experience I thought was good were the 2 nights I dined at La Reserve. That I do recommend, but, it is expensive as were the wine tastings we attended. When you add our bill for wine and the service fees to the cost of the cruise, items included on Seabourn, the cost was comparable between the 2 cruise lines. The quality of the experince was vastly diffrerent. The penthouse suite we had was ok. The curtains in the room are decorative only and do not open the way they do in a seabourn suite so that you can separate the room into 2 areas. Bathroom was ok, nothing special. Closet was ok. Did not use their excursions, way over priced. Entertainment was very poor in all areas. A few of the public areas were lovely, the martinis bar and the grand lounge in particular. The main dining room was dreadful, it felt like a restaurant in an assisted living home. I did not dine there in the evening at all, too depressing. The buffet dining room was also terrible especially at night, the food was unimaginative and poor quality. I am pretty sure they are not using butter in their croissants and baked goods also. The flavor just was not there. The staff was almost very good especially the butler we had in our suite. The other guests were also great, many fun conversations with interesting people. The other thing that happened on this trip was some sort of a health crisis that slowly but surely shut down facilities one by one. We were given almost no information about what was going on or what to expect. By the final day our robes had even been removed and we had plastic drinking glasses in our room. The final day we were rushed out of the ship at 8am and, unlike seabourn where there is always a line of officers and the cruise director on hand to say goodbye, there was absolutely no one there. In fact, I do not think I ever saw the cruise director at any time during the 18 days on board. To sum it up, I did not feel as if I was a valued client on this ship. I felt as if my needs were unimportant and the quality of my vacation irrelevant to the management. Would I cruise with them again, probably not.

Luxury cruise, not even close

Marina Cruise Review by sfbaker

• Sail Date: January 2018
  • Destination: South Pacific
  • Cabin Type: Penthouse Suite
We have been cruising on Seabourn for years and love it.

Did not use their excursions, way over priced.

Entertainment was very poor in all areas.

The flavor just was not there.

The staff was almost very good especially the butler we had in our suite.

Would I cruise with them again, probably not.
sfbaker’s Full Rating Summary
Get Oceania Marina price drops

Penthouse Suite
Cabin PH2 10015
ok, could be better if the curtains were real. Like a lot of things on the ship, they were fake,
Deck 11 Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins