3. Carnival Vista
We booked this cruise in April 2015 for November 2017 as we wanted to try out the newest Carnival ship. Traveling was myself, my husband and our 3 year old daughter. We got a great deal on a Lido deck balcony cabin. We were in cabin 10-211 which was nearly all the way forward on the Lido deck. I am glad we booked when we did as the prices did nothing but climb. Our group had 17 in total with all being mostly experienced cruisers. We traveled to Florida the day prior to our cruise, electing to fly into Ft. Lauderdale rather than Miami due to airfare pricing. Since we were traveling with a toddler and didn't pack a car seat, we had pre-arranged car service set up who could provide a car seat. It was a quick and easy drive from FLL to our hotel in Downtown Miami. We booked a room at the Hampton Inn & Suites Brickell. We booked directly on the Hilton's website and got a rate that included two complimentary drinks per person. We usually stay at the Intercontinental Downtown Miami near Bayside. The Hampton in Brickell was nice and there was plenty nearby as far as shopping and eating. But I still prefer the IC. We spent most of the day at the pool, before getting ready for dinner. We had one in our group with a later flight. So we enjoyed our free drinks at the lounge and then went to a great Cuban restaurant for dinner. The restaurant was just a few blocks away. The next morning we piled in a couple taxis around 10:30 and headed to the port to meet the rest of our group. Check-in was easy-breezy. We were through security within 10 minutes. Most of our group is platinum which really helped. The main check-in line was already very long. We had about a 20-30 minute wait in the Platinum lounge before boarding. The only snag was that my picture didn't scan through from my passport. So I had to stop before getting on the ship to have my picture taken. Apparently, Carnival just switched to a new system, so they are still working out a few minor bugs. But it didn't cause a major delay. We grabbed lunch from the Lido deck, enjoyed a few drinks and checked out our cabin. We had all of our luggage within an hour or so and was able to unpack before the muster drill. Our muster station was the main show lounge. The only bad part of muster was trying to entertain our tired, cranky three year old! Other than that it was fairly quick and painless. Impressions of the ship: I was not blown away by the ship itself. I didn't find the layout particularly enjoyable. It seemed very congested and closed in compared to other ships. While the Atrium Dreamscape funnel is really cool to look at, I still missed the feel of the soaring, open atriums. The show lounge might be the worst set up ever. Bad job on whoever designed that room. The site-lines are awful unless you are front and center on the main floor. Some booths and seats in the higher level don't even allow you to see the stage. Many areas require you to look around a large pole. Just not a good set up at all. The ship was very clean and the rest of the public rooms were great. Red Frog Pub was a favorite hangout of ours. We spent alot of time there in the evening listening to a wonderful singer/musician. The bartenders there were awesome as well! IMAX Theater was a fun new addition. We caught one show there. It was just a 30 min short movie that we were able to take our daughter to. Very affordable for tickets and snacks. Alchemy was a place that was always packed. I wish we could have spent more time there, but the one drink I did get there was fantastic. Bonsai Sushi - we ate there for lunch on the last sea day and it was great as usual. Casino - spent time a couple nights playing blackjack. The casino stayed busy and during peak times, it could be hard to get a seat at a table unless you wanted to play $25 bets (which I did not). The smoke didn't seem to be terrible, but it was noticeable. Atrium - was a great place to meet before dinner or before getting off the ship in port. Our daughter could run around and dance while enjoyed a cocktail which was nice. Shows - we saw a few of the shows including the Movie themed one, Rock N Roll show and one other. We also saw one of the comedians who was really funny. The main thing here again was the poor seating options. Lido Deck - we didn't have great weather to start the trip, but did find some sunshine on the first sea day to enjoy the pool. Our daughter also loved the splash park so we spent a lot of time there. Serenity - unfortunately, we didn't spend any time here. But it's usually one of our favorite spots. Food - We had late seating in the forward Main Dining room and ate here every night. Our servers were wonderful! Esp. in how accommodating they were to the little one. Our table location was ideal. We had perfect space for a high chair and when the little one was done eating, we'd move the high chair out of the way and pull her stroller up close. She would crawl in her stroller and fall right to sleep. Our drink service was pretty prompt and dinners didn't drag out too long. All of the food we got was very good to great! We did not try any of the pay venues other than Bonsai for lunch. We did order room service several times include breakfast by putting the order card on our door. Breakfasts usually showing up within 5-10 minutes of the requested time. Other orders placed were delivered much quicker than I've seen on other ships. It was a nice option to have with a toddler as we could get her a PB&J and Chips or fruit pretty quickly. Breakfast and lunches were usually had at the lido buffet and were standard. My hubby loved the breakfast burritos from Blue Iguana! We also did sea day brunch one day (service was very slow) and the Seuss at Sea Breakfast (absolutely did NOT disappoint). Camp Ocean - This was the first time our toddler was old enough for kids camp. She went twice during the day and once after dinner and seemed to have a great time. The counselors there are wonderful with the kids. Spa - While the little one was at camp on our last sea day, mommy indulged in a massage. The massage itself was great! Very relaxing. But the hard sell to by their products after is not good. She basically told me that what I was currently using on my skin was very bad. We did not get to take advantage of the SkyRide or any of the other sports square activities. But those who did looked to be enjoying themselves. Ports: Ocho Rios, Jamaica - We booked a private tour with Liberty Tours which took us to Blue Hole and Scotchies for lunch. The tour was great. Especially great were our guides at Blue Hole. They took great care of us and carried the toddler across the rocks with ease. I never felt like she was at all in an unsafe place. They were great with her. Only snag here, was my sister actually dislocated her shoulder on one of her jumps into the water. She was hesitate to jump at all cause this shoulder tends to dislocate easily. Against her better judgement, she did two of the very small jumps and on the second came up in great pain. Again, our guides couldn't have been better! One of them picked her up and carried her out of the water, across the rocks and to our tour van. Our driver was so careful on some very rough roads and made an additional stop back at the ship so my two sisters could get off and get to the infirmary. They told the rest of us to continue with the tour. The doctors on the ship were great. They gave her morphine and were able to reset the shoulder. She wore a sling the rest of the trip and had some lingering pain. But made the best of it. Overall, Blue Hole was amazing. It had rained that morning so the water wasn't as blue as you'll see in some pics. But it was a great experience. The climbing was a little difficult, but the guides show you exactly where to step. And the jumps vary from very high to short. It's completely your choice what jumps (if any) you want to do. Scotchties is a great place for a traditional Jamaican lunch. The grounds there are beautiful. You are eating outside amid beautiful gardens. And the food is amazing. This is our second time to Scotchies - it's become a must do for us. Grand Cayman - We had no wait to tender off the ship. We didn't rush right off since we didn't have an excursion booked. Once off the ship, we just took a taxi bus to Seven Mile Beach. Just a warning, they wait until the taxi bus is completely full before the depart. We got off at the free beach (i think it was Royal Palms). There were free loungers and we just hung out there for a few hours. Once we taxied back to the port, we were greeted with a LONG tender line. It was probably a good 30 minute wait. Luckily, there were some snack stands there where we could buy sodas and chips to munch on while we waited. Cozumel - We did an all inclusive day pass at Playa Mia. We've been to Playa Mia several times and it is great for kids. Our daughter very much enjoyed the splash park area. Lunch is included in the all inclusive package. The buffet had both Mexican and American fare. There should really be something for everyone. Disembarkation - Since we are Platinum we were in group one to get off the ship. We had an 11:15AM flight out of FLL (I didn't book it that way, the flight time moved up after we booked). Traveling with the toddler makes it difficult to carry everything off our selves. So we set our bags out the night before and just debarked with Group 1. It only took us about 10 minutes to get off the ship and we found our bags quickly. The driver we had pre-arranged was already on site and had us picked up within minutes. We made it to FLL with plenty of time to spare.

First Time on The Vista

Carnival Vista Cruise Review by MistyRo76

Ports:

MistyRo76’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 3 to 6
Get Carnival Vista price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8E 10-211
We loved our cabin! The location was great. We felt very little movement or heard very little noise. We had just enough storage room for the three of us including our stroller. The sofa was turned into a bed for our daughter. It was so nice to not need a crib, like the last time we cruised with her. We enjoyed that extra space we had without it! We've found a balcony to be a necessity with a little one in tow. We would hang out there at night after she went to sleep. I brought her baby monitor so I could hear if she got up while we were out there. The windows are pretty soundproof so we couldn't hear her without that monitor. I loved the addition of a USB port in the room. That really helped us keep our various devices charged up. The bathroom was a typical carnival bathroom. But the shower worked well for me and our daughter to get cleaned up at the same time.
Lido Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins