3. Carnival Splendor
I chose this cruise as I'd never been to Mexico before and thought this would be a great way to see a little of the country. Embarkation: I was able to take my suitcase on with me but the boarding process was slow and all passengers were herded into a large area where we waited for our boarding numbers to be called. There was then a very long walk and wait to board the ship. Ship information: Decor like all Carnival ships is totally outrageous- fried eggs on the ceiling in the main dining room and pink donuts in the design everywhere. There was a fire in the engine room on the first night that was contained and we were kept updated on this. The ship appeared a lot older than its 10 years of age and the layout was very confusing having to go up and downstairs to get to areas on the same level (levels 3 and 4). The Serenity area is not as nice as on other Carnival ships - it’s situated at the front of the boat, is looking a little tired and run down. I understand that the ship will be going through a refurb before its Australian season in 2019. Great to see assistant dogs onboard. Cabin: Inside cabin 8369 - Room wasn’t totally clean when I arrived - dirty ear cleaner and lolly wrapper on the floor and mirrors were smeared. Room was kept clean afterwards but only cleaned once per day. Bed was uncomfortable and my neck and back were sore on waking. The room was also quite noisy. You could hear passengers and room stewards in the hallways. Vacuum cleaners going in the corridors at 8:30 in the morning on several occasions. Service: Service was mixed- some areas like the casino staff were excellent- some bar areas and in the main dining room service was indifferent. In the main dining room service was very slow and orders had to be repeated. I had anytime dining. The ships captain wasn’t very visible and didn’t provide many updates- eg when we were late leaving port in Peurto Vallarta. The photographers were great in that they left you alone if you weren’t interested but the photos I had posed for were of poor quality. Very long wait in coffee shop in the mornings and only 1 barrister on duty. On port days coffee shop was closed between 11 – 3. Dining: Food in the buffet was very average. A lot of the savoury food was sweetened with sugar - not suited to my palate. The main dining room was hit and miss. I had a couple of nice meals there but also some very average ones. Bars: I didn’t like that they didn’t use fresh ingredients in the cocktails- only pre-mix. The Mojito bar didn’t have mint on the first night. Entertainment: I didn’t attend any of the production shows however I loved entertainers and the music they played in the public areas. Disembarkation: Again there were very long queues. As I had an early flight, I took off my own bags.

A little disappointed in the Splendor

Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by redanne

Ship information:

Great to see assistant dogs onboard.

Service: