3. Norwegian Jewel
We had chosen this cruise primarily because it coincided with the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne, which was one of the stops. Until it wasn’t any longer, which caused us to alter our plans and change our flights so we could get to Melbourne for a day. Geelong was a lovely port and we had a great time walking along the shore. Overall the ports of call saved this trip. To say the food was terrible would be an understatement. I have the simplest palate on earth so standard cruise fare really has to be terrible for me to not like it. It was awful. With the exception of Cagney’s, which was average, and the Tepanyaki restaurant, which was pretty good, nothing was salvageable. I’ve also never seen such a challenge to put the correct food and drink in front of someone. That was the most consistent aspect of service on board. Speciality dining or no. Our cabin steward never came to introduce himself and it took two days for the beds to be set up the way we wanted them. Sometimes we got a floor mat in the bathroom, sometimes we didn’t. Every day was a Where’s Waldo of what was or wasn’t put in the cabin. Our travel companions didn’t get bath towels 3 times. They wound up hoarding the towel animals so they could shower. There also must have been some sort of pipe backup because throughout the entire cruise the hall in front of our travel companions cabins smelled like an unflushed toilet. The first port day the ship held a crew drill. Pretty standard. However, they held it shortly after the ship was released for shore excursions. The drill happens and all of the doors close. We were all in the lounge waiting for our tour number to be called. The shore excursion crew member, rather than walk us himself, held open the door to the lounge and said walk to the end of the hall and go down one deck. So we walked down this hall, no escort, through many closed doors, not know what was considered the end and if we should continue through the next set of closed doors. We finally got to “our” end and it turned out we had to walk down two decks. Another time I went to the desk to ask a question and the same guy was not shy about letting everyone know how displeased he was with the previous customer on line. At night when we wanted to sit in a lounge or go to a bar to get a drink, the crew, mostly entertainers, took up most of the seating and kept the bar staff engaged with them rather than with actual customers. There were several crew servers that did go above and beyond for us, and we made sure to let the proper folks know about them. This had been my first NCL cruise in 11 years. I’d hoped that maybe there would be an improvement. This will be my last. I don’t consider myself to be a snobby cruiser. I try to find worth in any ship I’m on. The ports. That’s the best I can do. Just go and enjoy the ports and suffer the ship if you must. But you can get those ports elsewhere.

Never again, Norwegian

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by Finsfan23

Finsfan23’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Jewel price drops

Mid-Ship Balcony
Cabin BA 10586
The cabin was adequate if a hair smaller than similar ones on new ships. However the bedding and cover for the couch were torn, and in the couch cover, falling apart. The location was perfect, however. RIght off the midship stairs, but not the first so there really wasn’t noise from the hallway.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins