3. Carnival Breeze
We just returned from a 7-day cruise on the Carnival Breeze out of Galveston. This was my first Carnival cruise, with all of my previous cruises being on Royal Caribbean. For comparison, the most recent Royal Caribbean ship we had cruised on was Liberty of the Seas, which still sails out of the port of Galveston and is the same price as the Breeze. I thought many may find it useful for me to compare the two in this review. The Ship: Something I noticed about the Breeze was that the venues themselves really shined. One in particular that we really enjoyed was the Red Frog Pub. They have their own signature beer called Thirsty Frog Red that was delicious. The venue also has it’s own pub grub menu where you can order some appetizer offerings for only $3. We tried several of these items and they were all delicious and a great value. The pub also has live music, sporting events, shuffleboard, foosball, and beer pong tournaments throughout the cruise. There is a great atmosphere here and it really does feel like you’re sitting inside a beachside pub in the Caribbean. There is a pub on Liberty of the Seas, but I think it really falls short compared to the Red Frog Pub on the Breeze. Something else we really enjoyed on the Breeze was the Tides Pool. The location on the back of the ship gives the pool a very unique feel as you can enjoy a beautiful view of the wake as the ship makes it’s way through the Caribbean. This pool was always the best spot to relax at sail away because it gives you the perfect view of the port you are leaving behind. Also, if you like the Thirsty Frog Red beer there is a self-serve station located in this area where you have the option to pour your own beer for a discounted price. It’s the best value on the ship in terms of alcohol. The Serenity Deck adults only retreat was another venue that I thought Carnival did really well. There were all kinds of unique patio chairs to lounge on and enjoy the sun or to sleep comfortably on in the shade. My biggest critique of this area was that it was often difficult to secure a good spot on sea days. That is really more of a compliment to the space, as it is difficult because so many cruisers want to enjoy it. If you stay onboard on a sea day you can have the whole place to yourself and it is very relaxing. Liberty of the Seas also has an adults area that is very nice, but I thought the Serenity Deck's unique and comfortable lounge chairs made it a little bit better than the Solarium on Liberty. The final ship unique ship feature on the Breeze was the Sky Course. This is a ropes course on the top deck that has several different obstacles to navigate across while attached to a harness for safety. The course is great for kids or adults and really was a fun challenge to complete. There were also two awesome waterslides that were pretty fast and definitely worth a try. Staterooms: We typically sail in interior rooms to save money, but we decided to get the balcony because interior rooms on the Breeze did not include a couch/sitting area like they did on Liberty of the Seas. This little area can make a big difference when two people are getting ready in the room. We could have just gotten an ocean view, which included the seating area, but decided to spring for the balcony. Being that the rates are nearly identical for both ships, this makes the base interior room on Liberty a better value in my opinion. The room was clean and well maintained. Food: The food was easily one of the biggest differentiators between the two cruise ships. In terms of complimentary quick serve food I really don’t think this one was close at all. The Breeze honestly blew me away with all of the options it had, especially on sea days. It features Guy’s Burger Joint, Blue Iguana Cantina, Guy’s Pig & Anchor BBQ, Pizza Pirate, and Sea Dogs. I can honestly say that Guy’s Burger Joint and Guy’s Pig & Anchor BBQ was as good as any burger or BBQ I have had on land. We didn’t eat much at the Blue Iguana for lunch, mostly because the other venues were so good, but we did have some great breakfast burritos there on several days that were good. To have those complimentary options was really great and I thought that was something that Liberty of the Seas fell short on. The options for quick serve lunch on Liberty were just some sandwiches or pizza. The buffet on the Breeze really left a lot to be desired and we really didn’t enjoy any of the food we had there. This may be because more of their budget goes towards their quick serve options, which I suppose I prefer. We barely ate at the buffet, but we did go check the offerings several times and ended up opting for another trip to one of Guy’s venues. The main dining room food was good, but we found it to be a little less consistent in quality than we had experienced on Liberty of the Seas. There were a few nights where we weren't overly impressed. We were also unimpressed with the Sea Day Brunch. Most of the items on the brunch menu are available on the breakfast buffet and you don't have to wait 30 minutes or more to get it. We had one meal at Cucina Del Capitano and thought it was very good. I am usually not a fan of specialty dining on cruises in general, but at $15 I think this restaurant is actually a pretty good value. Bonsai Sushi was also very reasonably priced and was very good. Entertainment: This is another area that really set the two ships apart. I wouldn’t say it was necessarily because one was significantly better than the other, but rather the way in which they approach the entertainment. Rather than focusing on bringing in outside entertainment for the theatre like Royal Caribbean does they had a cast that put on several different shows throughout the cruise. I honestly was expecting to think these shows were really lame, but they actually weren't that bad. They were good singers and dancers, but if that really isn’t your thing then you probably won’t enjoy many of the shows. It didn’t help that the theatre on the Breeze is poorly designed and there are several bad seats in the house that make it difficult to see the stage. In terms of the quality of entertainment in the theatre the Breeze wasn't even close to comparing to Liberty of the Seas. Liberty definitely has significantly more impressive shows with more variety in the theatre. However, what Carnival did really well was comedy shows. I thought this definitely helped to offset the difference in quality in the production shows. Every night they turn the Limelight Lounge in the back of the ship into the Punchliner Comedy Club. It really does feel like a real comedy club and there multiple comedians almost every single night. I thought this was a great touch and really added some late night entertainment as there were several shows each night both for families and for adults only. Carnival also offers things like Lip Sync Battle which was definitely fun and entertaining. They also had several deck parties at night that were a lot of fun, especially if you really like line dances. In fact, if you love line dances, you will love the Carnival Breeze. That's a guarantee. Conclusion: Overall it was a great cruise and I found it really interesting to compare Carnival with my experiences on Royal Caribbean ships. In the end I think they are much more comparable experiences than I was expecting, with a slight edge going to Royal Caribbean. This is mainly because the shows in the theatre are my favorite part of cruising, and Royal Caribbean takes the cake there. I also thought the ship design on Liberty of the Seas felt a little more open and spacious, as well as more elegant in design. The experiences between the two cruise lines, while different, is so comparable that I can't really say one cruise line was better than the other. Just put me on a boat in the Caribbean with food and drinks and I'm gonna have a good time. Note: The cruise director Schwartz was awesome on the Breeze and he's definitely an asset to Carnival. He was the best cruise director we have ever had. He really knew how to get the crown excited and always seemed to be present and enthusiastic for events. If I was to choose between the two lines in the future I think price would be the main motivator.

Royal Caribbean Cruiser Trying Carnival

CruiseLife12345’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Breeze price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8G 8396
There was room in the room. It was a roomy room.
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Cozumel
    Cozumel is our favorite cruise port by far. This time we decided to try something different on our own.

We rented scooters near the cruise port for $55 for the day including full insurance coverage. We headed for the east coast of Cozumel. If you have not been here before GO DO IT. The entire east side of the island is completely undeveloped. It is literally miles of beautiful beach and you can stop at any time and walk down there and enjoy it without any other tourists there. The experience of riding down the beautiful coastline alone is worth the money.

We stumbled upon a bar called Rasta Bar. They had a full menu, cheap beer, beautiful beach, and lots of hammocks and chairs to relax in. It was basically like a free beach day, as it was completely free to enter. I HIGHLY recommend this spot, as it is not crowded at all and the staff is very attentive and friendly. It couldn't be a more beautiful beach and you can lay in the sand or walk for miles in either direction and see nothing but untouched beauty.
    View All 6,701 Cozumel Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cozumel Cruise Port Review
  • Galveston
    Galveston is awesome. Eat at Maceo's.
    View All 663 Galveston Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Galveston Cruise Port Review
  • Montego Bay
    We didn't have anything booked for Montego Bay. We ended up on the "Hop On-Hop Off" shuttle that is offered at the cruise terminal. It was $19 per person and you could ride it all day. The shuttle stops at some shops, Doctor's Cave Beach, and Margaritaville. I do not recommend the shops, personally. Just seems like stuff you could get anywhere.

Doctors Cave Beach was great. It was $9 to enter and had beautiful white sand and wasn't overly crowded. They had food and drinks available for purchase and it was a great beach day.
    View All 473 Montego Bay Cruise Port Reviews