Volendam Cruise Review

Volendam Cruise Review by Frank Mul

• Sail Date: Dec 2017
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Lanai Ocean-View Stateroom

Just out of dry dock and work still going on all over. AC in our cabin not working, far from ideal in tropical climate. We had an outside door to the lanai deck but this was broken!!! Temperature in our cabin was between 75-79 deg. I had to open the inner cabin door to let cool air from the interior corridor in to our cabin. The first few days had the smell of burning metal and sawdust but worst was an overpowering smell of soggy wet carpet from the many cabins with water leaks.

Not surprising that my wife contracted a chest infection and ran up $2000 of medical bills and was confined to the cabin for a number of days. Funnily enough her chest infection cleared up totally as soon as the AC was fixed.

Room service was appalling while my wife was unable to leave the cabin. I had to go to the restaurant myself to get the food she could eat.

After repairs were carried out properly we enjoyed the rest of the voyage. Food and dining room were excellent. Service excellent.

Wine at $40 a bottle and beer at $9 was bad, but a bottle of water at $3.95 + a bottle was a bit too much.

Frank Mul's Full Rating Summary

Lanai Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin CA 3333

Nice cabin but no AC made it a hell hole.

Halong Bay

Boat trip too long. Visit to caves was fascinating but “hundreds” of steps that you are not warned about.

Frank Mul